Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

you and I vs. you and me

Sources
    I am confused. When do you "say you and I" and when is "you and me" correct. For many years I thought I knew, but I am not so sure anymore.

AuthorAnette_DE (340170) 28 Aug 07, 21:20
    Sources
    You and I have a lot in common

This room is for you and me
    Comment
    "You and I" for subject
    "You and me" for object

cf.

Du und ich haben viel gemeinsam

Dieses Zimmer ist für dich und mich
    #1Authorbifi (zomtec)28 Aug 07, 21:23
    Comment
    - You and I should spend more time together.
    - He knows both you and me.

You kann sowohl Nominativ als auch Akusativ sein.
    Am einfachsten ist es, den Satz erst mal nur mit "I" oder "me" zu bilden, um zu sehen, was passend ist.
    #2Authoroffliner28 Aug 07, 21:24
    Comment
    I was taught in school that you should phrase it so that if one was removed, the sentence would still be correct. e.g You and I go to the park. You go to the park. I go to the park. Not me go tothepark. But now Im told nobody cares about this rule anymore so it pretty much don't matter. Dere be no rules no moar. (hooray)
    #3AuthorKarl28 Aug 07, 21:25
    Comment
    Examples:

You and I are happy together

You and I have been through many hard times.

This photograph is of you and me.

In truth, when one should use either form is also dificult for English speakers. I hope you will get some better information.
    #4AuthorJNT (358461) 28 Aug 07, 21:26
    Comment
    THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH!!!
    #5AuthorAnette_DE (340170) 28 Aug 07, 21:27
    Comment
    It's true that I quite often hear "you and I" where it should be "you and me" - I've not encountered it the other way round so far; but simply because a rule is often broken, shouldn't mean that it is not valid anymore.
    #6Authoroffliner28 Aug 07, 21:29
    Comment
    That's why I was so confused. Thank you again!
    #7AuthorAnette_DE (340170) 28 Aug 07, 21:32
    Comment
    Its a very complicated question offliner. for one thing new grammar "rules" emerge from new speech patterns which break the old rules, for another its often hard to say whether a rule is a rule when its universally ignored, I mean only in the linguistic sense. Also "regional" dialects have different "rules" which often cannot be called incorrect.
    #8AuthorKarl28 Aug 07, 21:39
    Comment
    Karl, I agree that languages are not static but changing (forget about latin for a moment). But as we are not the authorities to define the new standards, here in the forum we should probably try to stick to the set rules. Annette was asking about the "correct" grammar here, not about the common usage. Interestingly in this specific case,I know people who would say "Can you hand this to Anna and I?" but would never say "Can you hand this to I?" - so there is a clear inconsistency.

Well, it's a complicated question indeed and I have by no means the best answer to it. While I e.g. embrace the "neue Rechtschreibung" in most aspects (or at least try to), in other aspects I am more old fashioned and hold dear to my "ph" not wanting it to trade for an "f" etc.
    #9Authoroffliner28 Aug 07, 21:50

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt