Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

German missing

I graduated in June 07 with a 2:1 BA degree in German

Subject

I graduated in June 07 with a 2:1 BA degree in German

Sources
    Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
    in Juni 2007 habe ich meinen Hochschulabschluss in Deutsch und Russisch gemacht

also
    Die Dauer meines Aufenthalt in Deutschland ist ungefähr 4 Monaten – von ende März bis Juli aber ich kann flexibel sein. - any comments on whether this sounds right would be awesome.
    Comment
    Hi guys,
    I'm writing a cover letter for a job in Germany but since my graduation I really haven't been keeping up with it and now I've lost all confidence and can't even trust myself to write a simple covering letter! Any help is much appreciated.
    I'm applying for an internship as a translator with a view to going on to do a Master's in translation in September.
    So far I've got Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
    in Juni 2007 habe ich meinen Hochschulabschluss in Deutsch und Russisch gemacht
    and I just want to include the fact that I got a 2:1 and it was a BA - I want to keep these details in English because I believe 'equivalents' just don't cut it but I just don't know how I can structure the sentence to fit them in.
    Thank you thank you thank you!
    Lucy
    AuthorLooloobelle (413002) 09 Mar 08, 12:16
    Comment
    what exactly is a 2:1 bachelor's degree?
    #1Author Todd (275243) 09 Mar 08, 12:25
    Comment
    double major?

In June 2007, I received a Bachelor of Arts degree from X University, with a double major in German and Russian.
    #2Author Todd (275243) 09 Mar 08, 12:28
    Sources
    Comment
    no, Todd, this is a British way of expressing results.

You can graduate with a first, an upper second (2:1), a lower second (2:2) or a lower-class degree
    #3Author penguin (236245) 09 Mar 08, 12:31
    Comment
    It would be very misleading to leave the results in English, without providing any explanation as to what they signify.
    #4Author Carly-AE (237428) 09 Mar 08, 12:40
    Sources
    im Juni 2007 habe ich meinen Hochschulabschluss in Deutsch und Russisch gemacht

Die Dauer meines Aufenthalt in Deutschland beträgt ungefähr 4 Monate – von Ende März bis Juli. Ich bin jedoch sehr flexibel.

2:1 degree im BA entspricht m.E. der deutschen Note "gut" oder "2".

Möchtest du die Note direkt in den Eröffnungssatz einbringen?

im Juni 2007 habe ich meinen Hochschulabschluss (Bachelor) in Deutsch und Russisch, mit der Note 2, gemacht.

oder

im Juni 2007 habe ich die Hochschullehrgänge in Deutsch und Russisch, mit einer Gesamtnote von 2, abgeschlossen.
    Comment
    Nur ein paar Anregungen
    #5AuthorMarcel09 Mar 08, 12:44
    Sources
    Die Dauer meines Aufenthalt in Deutschland ist ungefähr 4 Monaten – von ende März bis Juli aber ich kann flexibel sein.
    Comment
    - Es ist unklar, was Du damit genau meinst./ It's not fully clear what you mean exactly. Should your intern START in this time or completely fill this timeframe? Then it is less then four months!

Anyway I would suggest the translastion (if I understood your intention right):

Die Dauer meines Aufenthalt in Deutschland SOLL ungefähr 4 Monate MONATE BETRAGEN – idealerweise von Ende März bis Juli. Ich bin jedoch noch flexibel bezüglich des genauen Zeitraums.
    #6AuthorMala77 (421846) 09 Mar 08, 12:55
    Comment
    thanks for you help guys - @Mala77 yeah I basically want to say that although I can be available from the end of March until July, I could stay for longer or for less if I needed to. And sorry, when I say 4 months I mean including the month of July so maybe I should change that to August (i.e. until the end of July which would take us to August)
    And Marcel thanks, I like the way you've expressed the 2:1 there - @Carly AE I disagree somewhat that it would be misleading to leave it in the English way as the job I'm applying for is expected to be applied for by native English speakers so I'm guessing they would have an idea what I was talking about - but then I guess it's better not to assume anything!
    Thanks so much to all of you for your help, I'll get on and write the rest of it now :)
    #7AuthorLooloobelle (413002) 09 Mar 08, 14:16
    Suggestiondie Note
    Comment
    @ Marcel, and yeah I guess it's not essential that I mention the actual mark I got so I'm not sure yet if I'll include it or leave it out but I was just curious as to how I would include it if I decided to. Thanks again!
    #8AuthorLooloobelle (413002) 09 Mar 08, 14:18
    Comment
    Looloobelle - Personally, I wouldn't assume that the person reading your application is aware of the education system in the UK. I coordinated the ERASMUS international student exchange program for forestry students at a German university and even though incoming students applied to me in English, I was VERY pleased when they provided a brief explanation of what their respective grades/marks signified. Made my work life much easier, since I could better advise/set things up.
    #9Author Carly-AE (237428) 09 Mar 08, 14:25

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt