Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

Difference between daheim and zu Hause

Subject

Difference between daheim and zu Hause

Sources
    Erdinger Weißbier "In Bayern daheim. In der Welt zu Hause."
    Comment
    What is the differece between "daheim" and "zu Hause"? Don´t "daheim" and "zu Hause" both mean at home?
    AuthorHarryC (481766) 26 Sep 08, 02:43
    Suggestiondaheim - zu Hause
    Sources
    You are right. This slogan is a word play, playing with two similar meanings. But there is one difference for me. I think they choosed "daheim" for Bavaria, because you can use "daheim" in the sense of a warm feeling. Here I feel like at home...I fühle mich hier wie daheim. Or Endlich daheim...It is more your personal home. But you can use it like "zu Hause" too. Ich bin daheim.

Zu Hause is more a simple discription of your situation. You are "zu Hause". You can also say "Hier fühle ich mich zu Hause." But for me, zu Hause hasn't the emotions included like "daheim". The meaning "in der Welt zuhause" refers more the business of this company, as a global player or as a strong company which is more than just a small brewery in rural Bavaria.

By the way, I think I like this slogan..good marketing in one sentence. ;o)
    #1Authoriwf26 Sep 08, 05:27
    Comment

But I would add, that I think "daheim" is a word that is more often found in south Germany. From the middle Germany I know only the use of "zu Hause".
    So that might also underline, that this product has its origin in Bavaria.

So iwf is right about playing with words, but I think that the chosen words make really clear, that it is a product with origin in Bavaria (where beer is very traditional, more than in some other parts of Germany). The second parts is for marketing, that this beer is known all over the world. So this underlines that it is not just a local product.

#2Authorheini26 Sep 08, 05:41
    Suggestiondaheim - zu Hause
    Sources
    I'm from the south. I didn't know "daheim" is a word of my area. But know I understand why I feel more by using this word. ;o)
    #3Authoriwf26 Sep 08, 05:54
    Comment
    I live in Cologne and actually know the local government TV station has a program with "daheim" it the title.

Bascially...

"daheim" is the word Dorothy in "Wiz of the Oz" would use if she spoke "there is no place like home" in German.

"zu hause" actually implies "make yourself feel at home" in English.
    #4AuthorHarryC (481766) 26 Sep 08, 16:10
    Comment
    To me there is only a very slight difference between "daheim" and "zu Hause". "Daheim" always reminds me of "Heimat" (home, homeland) whereas "zu Hause" always reminds me of "Haus" (home, house). So "daheim" seems to me more of a spiritual home where you actually feel at home while "zu Hause" is the more substantial, the real home, implying shelter, the place where you live and so on.
    They can be in one place but they can very well be apart. I think that's what the slogan is implying on another level, too: You feel at home in Bavaria, regardless of where you actually live, once you tasted that beer ;) (The more obvious level of course is: That beer is from here but you can find it everywhere...and it feels at home where you're at home. But why tell you that?)
    Well... But I suppose to most people it doesn't even make a difference whether you say "zu Hause" or "daheim".
    #5AuthorAlysha (481961) 26 Sep 08, 17:00
    Comment
    I used to live in different parts of Germany: Brandenburg in the East, Hannover in the middle of Germany and in the West of Germany. My sister lives in Bavaria.
    For me, "daheim" and "zu Hause" have the exaxt SAME meaning. "Daheim" is commonly more used in the South of Germany, though.
    #6AuthorJudith26 Sep 08, 17:05
    Comment
    Ich kenne 'daheim' nicht als gesprochenes Wort Es ist in Norddeutschland nicht sehr gebräuchlich.
    #7AuthorUweN (238426) 26 Sep 08, 17:06
    Comment
    Ein Bayer (der bairisch/bayerisch spricht), würde nie sagen "ich bin hier zu Hause", sondern "ich bin hier daheim/I bin hia dahoam". In Bayern 3 läuft z. Zt. die Serie "Dahoam is Dahoam".
    #8AuthorFranzM (251719) 26 Sep 08, 18:29
    Comment
    I think iwf summed it up beautifully :-)

"Daheim" has this warm, fuzzy feeling of mom's home cooking, Christmas with the family, etc. to it.
    "Zuhause" is more of a matter of fact word, like when you are actually inside your house.

#9AuthorSusele (USA)26 Sep 08, 19:25
    Comment
    der echte Bayer sagt ja auch nicht, dass er jetzt "nach Hause geht," sondern dass er "heimgeht." Itz' geh i hoam.
    #10Authordude (253248) 26 Sep 08, 19:31

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt