Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

bei 100% /40 Stunden aufhören (zu arbeiten) - AE idiomatisch gesucht

Subject

bei 100% /40 Stunden aufhören (zu arbeiten) - AE idiomatisch gesucht

Sources
    Er liebte seinen Beruf so sehr, daß es ihm nicht im Traume eingefallen wäre, bei 100% aufzuhören zu arbeiten.

Er liebte seinen Beruf so sehr, daß es ihm nicht im Traume eingefallen wäre, nach 40 Stunden den Bleistift fallenzulassen.
    Comment
    Mir geht es nur um den letzten Satzteil; der Rest ist Beiwerk zur Verdeutlichung.

Ich suche keine wörtliche Übersetzung, sondern eine idiomatische Formulierung (AE), wie man das sagen kann, daß jemand nicht "Dienst nach Vorschrift" macht, sondern engagiert auch darüberhinaus arbeitet.

In einem anderen Thread...
    related discussion: Dienst nach Vorschrift (fig.)
    ... habe ich die Formulierungen "to do their job only as far as their contracts require" oder "I only do what I have to do" gefunden, aber ich dachte, vielleicht gibt es noch was Griffigeres.

Vielen Dank im voraus!
    AuthorAnna C. (474640) 09 Dec 08, 15:14
    Comment
    never have crossed his mind to only work 9 to 5

9 to 5 = standard work hours (note that this CAN also mean a regular boring office job with normal "office hours")

You might want to reformulate the above slightly if you like the "9 to 5" idea.
    #1Authorx09 Dec 08, 15:23
    Suggestion...to quit after 40 hours.
    #2AuthorHelmi (U.S.) (236620) 09 Dec 08, 15:38
    Comment
    Hi Anna C.
    If you are talking, no problem saying I love my job.
    But if this is part of a business/application letter, you would not be quite so gushy IMHO.
    The concept is to give 150%, rather than stopping at 40 hours....

He enjoyed his job so much that it would not have occurred to him to give less than 150%.
    #3AuthorRES-can (330291) 09 Dec 08, 15:50
    Comment
    "9 to 5" - didn't think of that. That sounds excellent!

Thanks for your suggestion too, Helmi!
    #4AuthorAnna C. (474640) 09 Dec 08, 15:52
    Comment
    Hi, RES-can,
    "to give 150%, rather than stopping at 40 hours...." - that sounds excellent too!
    Well, now I have the "Qual der Wahl" (no rhyming idiom for that, I guess?) :-)

The "loving the job" part was only an example of the context. But it's good to know when I'm overdoing it...
    #5AuthorAnna C. (474640) 09 Dec 08, 15:55
    Comment
    Follow-up question:
    In the US, is 40 hours such a regular time of work that it would be absolutely clear what I am talking about without adding something like "per week"?

I am asking this because here in Germany, the 40 has become less common during the past years. We would be talking about 38.5 hours if emphasizing the "Dienst nach Vorschrift" part.
    #6AuthorAnna C. (474640) 09 Dec 08, 22:02

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt