Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

nach dem Stand meiner Nachforschungen

Subject

nach dem Stand meiner Nachforschungen

Sources
    Nach dem Stand meiner Nachforschungen ist das Dokument xy das, was wir brauchen.
    Comment
    "Nach meinem Wissensstand" wäre ja "to the best of my knowledge".
    Geht so eine Konstruktion irgendwie auch mit "research"?

"To the best of my knowledge" ist mir irgendwie zu vage; ich würde gerne andeuten, daß ich schon nachgeforscht habe.
    Sinngemäß wäre das natürlich "As far as I know", aber es soll etwas gehobener und etwas mehr nach soliden Erkundigungen klingen.

Vielen Dank schonmal im voraus!
    AuthorAnna C. (474640) 20 Dec 08, 13:36
    Comment
    According to my research...
    From what I was able to find out....
    #1AuthorTodd (275243) 20 Dec 08, 13:38
    SuggestionMy researches to date show/indicate that
    Comment
    vielleicht (obwohl's keine feste Wendung ist).
    #2AuthorPhillipp20 Dec 08, 13:55
    Comment
    Immer wieder Todd und Phillipp als Retter in der Not - vielen Dank Euch beiden! :-)
    Da läßt sich doch was mit anfangen!
    #3AuthorAnna C. (474640) 20 Dec 08, 14:59
    Comment
    Phillipp- there really is no plural for research in English....
    #4AuthorTodd (275243) 20 Dec 08, 19:49
    Comment
    Sorry Todd, but that's simply not so. Here's the relevant OED entry:

"research
    2. a. A search or investigation directed to the discovery of some fact by careful consideration or study of a subject; a course of critical or scientific inquiry. (Usu. in pl.)
    a1639 Wotton Surv. Educ. in Reliq. (1672) 85 There must go before a main research, whether the Child that I am to manage, be of a good nature or no. 1675 L. Addison Pres. St. Jews 237 Waving all Critical reserches into the word Talmud. 1728 Young Love Fame vi. 413 Ye men of deep researches, say, whence springs This daring character, in tim'rous things? 1752 Hume Ess. & Treat. (1777) II. 9 These researches may appear painful and fatiguing. 1799 J. Robertson Agric. Perth 290 Our most profound researches are frequently nothing better than guessing at the causes of the phenomena. 1830 D'Israeli Chas. I, III. iii. 26 Such ambiguous facts+often baffle the researches of the historian. 1850 Sir B. Brodie Psychol. Inq. I. i. 12 Cuvier was usually engaged for seven hours daily in his scientific researches. 1870 Yeats Nat. Hist. Comm. 5 Fresh necessities have led continually to fresh researches."

It's used in contemporary English as well in the plural. You need but Google a phrase like "to his researches" (> 15,000 hits, the bulk of which on the first few pages at least are native English sites.
    #5AuthorPhillipp20 Dec 08, 22:02
    Comment
    from Webster's:

Usage Frequency: Research
    "Research" is generally used as a noun (singular) -- approximately 98.53% of the time. "Research" is used about 25,268 times out of a sample of 100 million words spoken or written in English. Its rank is based on over 700,000 words used in the English language. Some parts-of-speech are not covered due to the samples used by the British National Corpus. (note: percents less than one-hundredth of one percent have been omitted)
    Parts of SpeechPercentUsage per
    100 Million WordsRank in English
    Noun (singular)98.53%24,897339
    Lexical Verb (infinitive)0.98%24918,850
    Noun (proper)0.41%10332,137
    Lexical Verb (base form)0.08%2078,262
    Total100.00%25,268N/A

Note there is not even a listing for a plural form. "Researches" (as a plural noun, not as a third-person conjugation) is probably more archaic than you think.
    #6AuthorTodd (275243) 20 Dec 08, 22:24
    Comment
    and "to his research" gets 274,000 google-hits
    #7AuthorTodd (275243) 20 Dec 08, 22:28
    Comment
    since your source is QED and mine is Websters' maybe it's an AE/BE thing....
    #8AuthorTodd (275243) 20 Dec 08, 22:29
    Comment
    @Todd: very diplomatic... ;-)
    #9AuthorAnna C. (474640) 20 Dec 08, 23:18
    Comment
    Todd: "Researches" (as a plural noun, not as a third-person conjugation) is probably more archaic than you think.

The reason for my Google search on an odd phrase like "to his researches" was precisely to avoid the third person singular of the verb.
    Because "researches" as pl. noun is used less frequently than the singular (which is what I would expect anyway), doesn't mean much. Under certain circumstances the plural form might be just what's wanted. Then you use it. That such cases are less frequent than cases where the singular noun will do the job isn't an argument against the plural noun as such. Where's the problem?

And what authority do you have for saying that the pl. noun is "archaic"? Three instances from the first two Google pages under "to his researches":

In recognition of his many important contributions to astronomical physics, in particular those relating to his researches in stellar spectroscopy.
    The same remark applies to his researches on the structure and various adaptations of the Orchideous flower, to a definite object connected with ...
    Wallace considered Belt one of the most astute field observers of his time, and often referred to his researches to help him make particular points.

I don't mean, of course, that the singular is wrong, only that there is a plural, and that it may on occasion be the preferable thing to use.

Anyway, Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year, if our paths don't cross again before then ;-)
    #10AuthorPhillipp21 Dec 08, 07:22
    Comment
    Ich wünsche euch allen auch schöne Feiertage und ein glückliches Jahr 2009, besonders dir Phillipp.
    #11Authorcookie crumbler21 Dec 08, 08:06
    Comment
    Phillip: not to beat a dead horse, but my reasons for describing your suggested usage as archaic were that most of the examples you quoted from QED were from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

I cannot think of an instance where "the plural form might be just what's wanted". In every single example you cited, the singular form can be substituted for the plural and leaves you with a more succinct and idiomatic sentence.

The fact is that "research" is an abstract noun. Making plurals out of abstract nouns is far more common in German, and I hate to say it, but doing it in English is Denglish.
    #12AuthorTodd (275243) 21 Dec 08, 10:07
    Comment
    Thanks, cookie ;-))

Todd, (actually 3 of the quotations are from the 19th century, which you don't mention at all) where the OED stops with its quotations simply can not be taken as a measure of whether a word is "archaic" or not! (On the other hand, if the OED classifies a word as "arch." that's a different matter.) On your principle, the word "slowness" would also be archaic, since all of the quotations are likewise spread over the 17th-19th centuries. The same holds for "garble", "garbage", "depth", "derision" ... So these words are archaic?

"research" is an uncountable noun that can be used countably. Certainly, using "research" in the plural must be done with discretion, but it's simply not a just estimate of the situation to say that to do so automatically means "Denglish" (though doubtless it can be).
    #13AuthorPhillipp21 Dec 08, 12:16
    Comment
    I hate to disagree with Phillipp, but for me too, 'research' is nearly always singular. Any exceptions to that would be very few and far between, and yes, in this forum I would tend to suspect, very possibly Denglish-influenced. In this example, I would have said exactly what Todd did in #1.
    #14Authorhm -- us (236141) 21 Dec 08, 16:52
    Comment
    Or perhaps a slightly different tense:

Based on what I have been able to find out (so far), ...
    #15Authorhm -- us (236141) 21 Dec 08, 16:54
    Comment
    I can live with Todd's #1, and not just live with it.
    But I'd also still have few qualms about using, given the right circumstances, the plural of "research". If one is a careful writer, I can imagine a number of reasons why one might choose to use the plural rather than the singular, because the word is really being used to refer to distinct projects (example A), or because the singular has just been or is about to be used (example B), to name just two possibilities:

A) In 1643, the published record of their researches began to appear in the multi-volume series known as the Acta Sanctorum. The single entry for Julian, ...

B) ... scholars have failed to relate their research to broader intellectual themes , thereby diminishing the academic value of their researches to historians. ...

There are so
    #16AuthorPhillipp21 Dec 08, 17:23
    Comment
    Ooops, "There are so" -- jettisoned sentence that got o0verlooked.
    #17AuthorPhillipp21 Dec 08, 17:24
    Comment
    In cases where you want to emphasize the separateness, most native speakers would say "different research studies" or "different research projects" rather than put a plural on "research". "Research" is a classic abstract "Oberbegriff".

There is no such thing as "a research" and thus there can be no such thing as "two researches".

#18AuthorTodd (275243) 24 Dec 08, 15:57
    Comment
    There is no such thing as "a research" ...

Then someone should notify M-W of a mistake on p. 1930 of Webster's Third International Dictionary:

"research
    2b(2) a presentation (as an article or book) incorporating the findings of a particular research" ...

There are many instances of the singular use by native speaker sites

This project conducted a research into condition based depreciation for long-life assets owned by Local Government.

http://www.lga.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=221

to cite just one.

I'm sure I won't be misunderstood, but just for the record -- I'm not saying (I hope I'm not repeating myself) that learners of English should go around using "a research" with the same freedom and readiness as e.g. "a table" or "a girlfriend".
    #19AuthorPhillipp28 Dec 08, 15:43

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt