Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Englisch gesucht

Charakter prägendes Erlebnis

Betreff

Charakter prägendes Erlebnis

Quellen
    Ein weiteres Erlebnis das ihren Charakter formte war der Hass auf ihre Stiefmutter.
    Kommentar
    Danke =)
    Verfasser-Lisa-20 Sep. 09, 17:55
    Kommentar
    Was soll das heissen? Wie kann dieser Hass ein Erlebnis sein? Ich nehme an, sie hasste ihre Stiefmutter längere Zeit und nicht nur während einem Ausflug oder den Ferien (beispielsweise). Hass ist kein Erlebnis.

Additionally, it was the hatred towards her step mother that also informed her character.
    #1VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 18:00
    Kommentar
    #1 - "informed" ist hier m.E. falsch. Stattdessen empfehle ich z.B.:

Additionally, it was the hatred towards her step mother that also had a strong influence on the formation/development of her character.
    #2Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 18:04
    Kommentar
    @maxxpf: you're showing your ignorance!
    #3VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 18:05
    Kommentar
    Ging mir ja auch nur um die Phrase - mir ist grad kein richtiges Beispiel eingefallen...
    Aber "informed" passt doch da eher nicht so gut?!
    #4Verfasserlisa20 Sep. 09, 18:06
    Kommentar
    look for yourself, lisa: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=saf...

natürlich passt es.
    #5VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 18:08
    Quellen
    Kommentar
    #3,4:
    Tatsächlich scheint es sehr wohl eine passende Formulierung zu sein, wie ich feststellen musste, mir scheint (allerdings), dass es eine Formulierung des äußerst gepflegten formalen Stils ist, die zumindest vielen "Zweitsprachlern" nicht geläufig sein dürfte. In einer Hauptseminar-Arbeit im Fach Anglistik z.B. könnte man damit aber gewiss punkten.
    #6Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 18:09
    Kommentar
    @maxxpf: Ich würde dir raten, deine Ignoranz für dich selbst zu behalten und sie nicht hier weiter zu verbreiten. The less you say, the better for you. :-)
    #7VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 18:11
    Kommentar
    ohje ohje... das wollte ich nicht bezwecken. =)
    danke.
    #8Verfasserlisa20 Sep. 09, 18:15
    Kommentar
    ist nicht so schlimm, lisa. "Prägen" ist ja auch nicht gerade ein Wort, dass man auf der Strasse aufklaubt, oder? ;-)
    #9VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 18:16
    Kommentar
    #7 - Amen!
    #10Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 18:18
    Kommentar
    #10: Schön, dass wir uns verstehen. :-)
    #11VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 18:20
    Kommentar
    #10 -
    Das war eher ironisch gemeint, mein Herr. Deine selbstherrliche Art finde ich ehrlich gesagt so ziemlich zum Kotzen.
    #12Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 18:38
    Kommentar
    Hm... eine Frage hätte ich dann noch:
    Besteht irgendwie die Möglichkeit ein "significant" einzubauen?
    .. informed her character significant?
    Danke schon mal.
    #13VerfasserLisa20 Sep. 09, 18:38
    Kommentar
    Character-forming experience/character building experience.

It formed her character/influenced her character.

Inform = mitteilen. You can't 'inform a character'. Ignore trolls such as Hansdampf and dodgy Google examples with only 15 hits.
    #14VerfasserCSP20 Sep. 09, 18:39
    Kommentar
    xy significantly informed her character.

bzw. informed her character significantly.
    #15Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 18:42
    Kommentar
    Oh.. das mit dem -ly hab ich mir dann auch gedacht =D
    Danke nochmal
    xxx
    #16Verfasserlisa20 Sep. 09, 18:46
    Kommentar
    #14: you're the troll here. My link in #5 provides 212,000 links, not 15. And by saying what you did about informing vs. forming, you're communicating your lack of English skill on a global scale. :-)
    #17VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 19:37
    Quellen
    Kommentar
    #17 - Hansdampf - If you actually cared to scroll down on your link in #5, you would realise that there is just one more page of links, not more than 200.000, so CSP #14 is perfectly right, and by the way: I did not post #14, to make that sufficiently clear.
    For your defence, this is actually a phenomenon I have come across quite fequently that the number of hits on a google list (at first glance) is sometimes in the six-digit range, and when you scroll down to look at all the results it turns out that there are but a few.
    Anyway I still think your expression might certainly be used in formal style (one might google for phrases "informed his character"), but it is certainly not frequently used and I still would definitely avoid it in conversation.

So, in the end, I still cling to my impression that you are just a tiny bit too arrogant to my taste at least.
    #18Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 19:53
    Kommentar
    Okay, maxxpf, so there are only 2 pages, but that doesn't mean that "inform" is wrong here. Here's one of the definitions of "to inform": give character or essence to; "The principles that inform modern teaching." (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=saf...)

And if you feel that my attitude towards you is arrogance, let me assure you, the feeling is mutual. I have observed you long enough to know that your English skill are mediocre at best, yet you frequently try to come across as if you knew it all. This thread is just one of many examples - see #2: "informed" ist hier m.E. falsch. After which, I might add, you do see it my way and even offer additional solutions using my original suggestion. I would even go so far as to consider you a joke at best and, worst case scenario, a fraud, maxxpf, because by pretending to know it all, you lead many serious students of the English language astray.
    #19VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 20:04
    Kommentar
    AAAAAH - hört doch bitte auf, ich fühle mich so schlecht weil ich diese Frage gestellt und somit euren "Streit" ausgelöst habe...
    Schaut lieber bei "Biene" im Forum vorbei... da gehts glaub auch gleich ziemlich rund =D
    #20VerfasserLisa20 Sep. 09, 20:14
    Kommentar
    #19 - Well, I have found out that some of those who always pretend that they know it all, which you seem to do, implying that since you know this expression you know them all, sometimes do have their weaknesses as well and are ignorant about something else. I would always avoid general comments if one doesn't know one expression in the English language to generalise this to an "ignorance on a global scale".
    I have always been willing to admit that I use this forum to acquire new knowledge of English as well as to share some of the tiny bit of knowledge of the English language that I already do have. Also I don't see what is wrong about admitting that one wasn't aware of an expression, as I did in #6 and go on working with sb else's suggestion. This is a forum and not a competition after all.
    In this case, of course, I do not agree with you because you seem to argue that yours is the best solution in any given case, which I doubt, and it is still plain to see that there are many alternatives that are more commonly used, and after all, I'd like to argue that mine is not wrong either.
    #21Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 20:36
    Kommentar
    Don't be such an idiot, maxxpf. For one thing, you said my suggestion was wrong, then you changed your tune saying you weren't aware of "inform" being used this way. Ignorance is no excuse or, in other words, don't go telling people something's wrong when you don't even know what you're talking about.

Secondly, I never once claimed that my suggestion was the only correct one or even correct under any circumstances. You're making this up and are therefore insulting me now. I gave a suggestion which you criticized, so I concentrated only on defending it and trying to enlighten you (a truly Sisyphean task, I might add).
    #22VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 20:41
    Kommentar
    informed her character

is correct but extremely rare, I confess I can't remember having seen it in years, presumably because, for example here, it's synonymous with formed and just sounds as if someone's proud of their extensive vocabulary
    #23Verfassermike20 Sep. 09, 20:47
    Kommentar
    I suppose only someone with a very limited vocabulary would make such a bold statement, mike.
    #24VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 20:49
    Kommentar
    which you are proving right, here, mike: Siehe auch: Präposition ON/AT page
    #25VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 20:51
    Kommentar
    I really don't know how you expect people to learn from their mistakes: What else can I do than correcting my initial statement in #2, which I did in #6? Should I shoot myself?
    And, by the way, why don't you go straighten out CSP's ignorance and get at her/him for calling you a troll (#14)?
    Don't just vent your wrath on me! :-)
    #26Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 20:52
    Kommentar
    Hansdampf, do you also call yourself Harper?
    #27VerfasserTrollAlert20 Sep. 09, 20:53
    Kommentar
    @maxxpf: Please look at #17 re troll. Also, why don't you simply refrain from calling something categorically wrong? You might save yourself a lot of embarrassment. :-)
    #28VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 20:54
    Kommentar
    @TrollAlert: in so many words: no!
    #29VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 20:54
    Kommentar
    @Hansdampf: yes!
    #30VerfasserTrollAlert20 Sep. 09, 20:56
    Kommentar
    To translate "m.E. falsch" into "categorically wrong" is a gross and unforgivable translation mistake! :-)

I do not call myself Pope, you know
    #31Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 20:57
    Kommentar
    To translate "m.E. falsch" into "categorically wrong" is a gross and unforgivable translation mistake! :-)

I do not call myself Pope, you know
    #32Verfasser maxxpf (361343) 20 Sep. 09, 20:57
    Kommentar
    @TrollAlert: you're just an idiot making unsubstantiated claims, so I won't bother with you anymore.

@maxxpf: My point is: check out the word in question before declaring it to be wrong. "Meines Erachtens" doesn't men crap, other than your "Erachten" isn't worth the time it took to write it.
    #33VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 21:00
    Kommentar
    men = mean (in #33)
    #34VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 21:01
    Quellen
    22 - "I never once claimed that my suggestion was ... even correct under any circumstances"
    Kommentar
    Look who's talking
    #35VerfasserTrollAlert20 Sep. 09, 21:02
    Kommentar
    Prove me wrong, dickhead!
    #36VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 21:03
    VorschlagCharakter prägendes Erlebnis
    Quellen
    Comment re tone of postings
    Kommentar

to all those posting impolite, sarcastic or insulting comments
    – ask yourselves if you would have the guts to express yourself in the same way if were you having a face-to-face discussion and were not posting behind the anonymous security of an Internet forum

#37Verfassermike20 Sep. 09, 21:46
    Kommentar
    I would have no problem calling TrollAlert a dickhead to his face if the opportunity were to ever present itself. :-)
    #38VerfasserHansdampf20 Sep. 09, 23:59

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt