Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

a hung parliament

[pol.]
    Sources
    Zeitungs-Headline aus aktuellem Anlass:

»Tories Gain, but Britain Faces a Hung Parliament«
    Author Nicki Aliasupolous (571225) 07 May 10, 16:14
    Sources
    ein Parlament im Patt
    ein Parlament mit Pattsituation
    eine Pattsituation im Parlament
    Comment
    Vorschläge zur Übersetzung
    #1Author mad (239053) 07 May 10, 16:15
    Comment
    what is the matter with everyone - go home and relaxe - so many of you are using the wrong forum today
    #2Authorwatchman07 May 10, 16:16
    Comment
    Apart from the wrong forum: related discussion: hunt Parlament
    #3Author Werner (236488) 07 May 10, 16:17
    Comment
    @watchman
    Argh, I need coffee... Sorry :)
    #4Author Nicki Aliasupolous (571225) 07 May 10, 16:18
    Comment
    If you want a German translation, try "German missing" / "Deutsch gesucht".

If you want an explanation, here is it:

In a parliamentary system, a hung parliament is a term used to describe a parliament in which no political party has an absolute majority of seats.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_parliament
    #5AuthorTranslothar07 May 10, 16:19
    Comment
    Eine "hung parliament" ist ein Wahlausgang ohne absolute Mehrheit für eine Partei.
    #7AuthorBritbelle07 May 10, 16:24
    Comment
    #2: what is the matter with everyone - go home and relaxe - so many of you are using the wrong forum today

What do you mean? If you're wondering about the current interest in terms such as "hung parliament", be aware that these are HIGHLY topical today for some of us, at least: not everyone on here lives in Germany!
    #8AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 07 May 10, 16:25
    Comment
    But what does looking for a translation for an English term in "Englisch gesucht" mean? And why does everbody continue to answer here while I pointed out above that this subject is being actively discussed already in another thread?
    #9Author Werner (236488) 07 May 10, 16:39
    Comment
    Sorry for any confusion - my bad. My problem is I tend to think (erroneously) of the whole of LEO as one forum, divided into sub-forums. And now I realise this thread should be in the Language Lab, as indicated in #2, #3 and #9. I'd wrongly assumed #2 was referring to a politics forum.
    #10AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 07 May 10, 16:55
    Comment
    And why does everbody continue to answer here while I pointed out above that this subject is being actively discussed already in another thread?

@#9: One answer to that question is that in the link you give in #3 the key word is mispelt, so anyone looking for "hung parliament" in the archive in future will not find that thread directly. There are one or two other reasons that I won't mention.

But what does looking for a translation for an English term in "Englisch gesucht" mean?

It means somebody has slipped up (just as you do sometimes). So what?

Rest assured, LEO users who type "hung parliament" into the dictionary search box will find this thread, regardless of it's being in the wrong part of the Forum. The same isn't true for the one you link in #3.

(I wonder occasionally if you aren't getting your priorities a bit mixed up.)
    #11AuthorPhillipp07 May 10, 17:55
    Comment
    Phillip, that the name was misspelled is no reason for not continuing the discussion there once I had pointed out that it was indeed a parallel thread which had alrady many more entries than this one. Even those who will end up here after searching for the correct term would have stumbled over my detour-information, and bingo. Don't worry about my priorities; after all I was not the first one to remark that this is the wrong forum.
    #12Author Werner (236488) 07 May 10, 18:08
    SuggestionHung Parliament
    Sources
    Quelle: 'Stern' 07.05.2010.
    Comment
    '.........weder die konservativen Tories noch die sozialdemokratische Labour-Partei kann nach der Wahl auf eine Mehrheit aus den eigenen Reihen setzen. Für die klare Verhältnisse gewohnten Briten ist diese Situation des so genannten Hung Parliaments, eines Patts, ungewöhnlich'. Alles klar?
    #13AuthorBlaubeer07 May 10, 18:14
    Comment
    Even those who will end up here after searching for the correct term would have stumbled over my detour-information, and bingo.

A very fuzzy world. But I'm glad to see you're not entirely against bending the rules (especially when you do it?). "my detour information" is very nice ;-))
    #14AuthorPhillipp07 May 10, 18:26
    Suggestion"hung parliamant" = "parliament" in Germany [pol.][Brit.]
    Sources
    Timothy Garden Ash Guardian Weekly 07.05.10
    "... the Federal Republic has had less than two years of single-party or tolerated minority government out of the last 60."
    Comment
    Add to that the Laender governemts. Note also that the Frankfurt stock exchange doesn't take a nosedive every time there is a general election in Germany.
    #15AuthorEngineer07 May 10, 22:58
    Comment
    It really has been amusing to hear the way that Britons use this special negative term for the current situation, when it's the normal state of things in so many other countries in Europe.

The problem with the markets, though, seems to be fear about the euro zone's really serious financial problems (Greece etc.), not the British election at all.

OT: I agree with Phillipp on several points. The word 'forum' is indeed misleading in English when the intended meaning is 'section of the forum.' Also, with an electronic search, it doesn't really matter what section a thread is in, but if its title is misspelled, it's virtually impossible to find using the search function. And as several of us have said in the past, lecturing people about minor mistakes is often more annoying than the minor mistakes themselves.

#16Author hm -- us (236141) 07 May 10, 23:17
    SuggestionParlament, in dem keine Partei eine absolute Mehrheit hat
    Comment
    Patt und Pattsituation bezieht sich immer auf eine Einzelsituation, niemals auf eine generelle Sitzverteilung im Parlament.

"unklare Mehrheitsverhältnisse" ist sachlich schlicht und einfach sachlich falsch.

#17AuthorPinky08 May 10, 01:55

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt