Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

Theoriestunde

Sources
    Eine Unterrichtsstunde in der Fahrschule. Also keine Fahrstunde, sondern eine, in der in einer Gruppe Verkehrsregeln etc. besprochen werden.
    Comment
    Weiß nicht, ob es das in englischsprachigen Ländern gibt. Wenn nicht, hätte ich gerne eine griffige Übersetzung ;)
    Danke im Voraus!
    AuthorLena (de) (507850) 19 Aug 10, 21:12
    Comment
    "theory lesson"
    laut z.B. dieser Website:

http://www.denbighshiredrivingschool.co.uk/pr...
    #1AuthorMac (De)19 Aug 10, 21:19
    Comment
    ... und wenn ja, dann keine mehr ? . . . ;-)

... try: a lesson in theorie of ...
    . . .
    #2AuthorDaddy . . . (533448) 19 Aug 10, 21:19
    Suggestiondaddy
    Sources
    a lesson in theorie of? Sorry, Daddy, it doesn't work. It's a theory lesson, as opposed to a practical lesson. And theory not theorie
    Comment
    #3AuthorBobWilde (642656) 19 Aug 10, 21:22
    Comment
    ... I was thinking along the line of ' A lesson in the theory of traffic&driving' . . .
    #4AuthorDaddy . . . (533448) 19 Aug 10, 21:56
    Comment
    Possibly an AE/BE difference, but I wouldn't use the word 'theory' at all in this context. In fact, to me 'theory lesson' specifically implies learning to read and write music; it's completely out of place here. It sounds odd, like a discussion about the philosophy of driving: To drive or not to drive, that is the question.

For AE at least, the subject is driver's/drivers'/driver education (short: driver's ed), and I think we would just distinguish between the classroom portion and the on-road portion. In most states there are also two parts to the test for a driver's license, the written part and the on-road part.

If you search on some of these terms, there are probably other options as well, but those should all be understandable.

Similarly, I don't think it helps to contrast classroom study to 'practical' lessons; the opposite of practical is, after all, impractical, which means unrealistic, which is not what you want to say about the classroom portion. Everything about driver's ed is practical, because it's useful, it's realistic, it's needed for everyday life. But the classroom part is no less practical than the on-road part, because in the classroom you learn things like why certain ways of driving are less or more dangerous; that's definitely practical.

The counterpart to theory is indeed practice, but in the context of driving, that doesn't mean lessons, it means Übung, going out with an adult (usually the teenager's mother or father) in the passenger seat and driving around.
    #5Authorhm -- us (236141) 19 Aug 10, 23:01
    Comment
    ... a very fine explanation, hm, indeed - thank you!. . .

The last part, however, does not apply internationally:

The counterpart to theory is indeed practice, but in the context of driving, that doesn't mean lessons, it means Übung, going out with an adult (usually the teenager's mother or father) in the passenger seat and driving around.

Over here in Europe (namely Germany), the actual driving experience is left to / gained with an instructor in a car belonging to a driving school (to 99.999% i.e.) . . .

No 'relatives' do come in over here . . .

Exemptions from this rule do require modified cars (2. set of pedals + sign-posting [more than just an 'L'-sign]) and the co-driver to sit in the co-drivers seat!! . . .
    #6AuthorDaddy . . . (533448) 19 Aug 10, 23:10
    Comment
    We have a few hours of supervised on-road practice with a professional instructor and dual controls in a car marked with a big sign, at the very end of the classroom part (which in my day was a one-semester class in public school). However, you don't really get enough practice from that, so after you do that part, you get a learner's permit (in my state: age 15 and up) that allows you to drive with an adult in the front seat, and after you turn 16, you can take the test for the real license.
    #7Authorhm -- us (236141) 20 Aug 10, 00:36

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt