• Gegeben

    transom window Bauw.



    Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    Jim Kempster said his grandfather told "of being visited by his brother, who was so tall that he searched for him by looking in through the transom windows above the doors to the wards".

    Verfasserwmw (386353) 28 Apr. 12, 16:36
    Siehe Wörterbuch: fanlight

    transom window und fanlight sind Synonyme imo
    #1VerfasserNonNee (478187) 28 Apr. 12, 17:36
    Das wurde diese Woche bereits lang und breit diskutiert :
    Siehe auch: Oberlicht (in der Wand)
    #2Verfasserno me bré (700807) 28 Apr. 12, 17:51

    An old thread that I just found while looking for the German for "transom". But I think there are several errors here, making it worthwhile to offer a comment.

    First though, a couple of definitions, taken from Merriam-Webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/transom

    (a) Transom: "a horizontal crossbar in a window, over a door, or between a door and a window or fanlight above it"

    (b) Transom window: "a window above a door or other window built on and commonly hinged to a transom."

    The cited article has an illustration, where the "T" points to the transom, and the hinged window above it is a typical transom window.

    A fanlight (vd #1) is a special kind of transom window, semi-circular or shaped like a lunette, and is therefore not fully synonymous with transom window. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-...,

    Finally, Oberlicht (based on the postings cited in #2) in its most frequent meaning seems to be a basement window, and not a transom window at all.

    I leave it to others to find a better German translation for transom window. (See the illustration in Merriam-Webster.)

    #3VerfasserMartin--cal (272273)  24 Mai 22, 08:48

    Oberlicht ist schon ok für das transom window, wobei das Wort Oberlicht auch andere Bedeutungen haben kann.

    Fanlight würde ich mit Halbrundfenster übersetzen.

    #4Verfasserghost_4 (1278168) 24 Mai 22, 18:35

    "Fanlight" ist ein halbrundes Oberfenster / Oberlicht. Im Deutschen hat diese Form keine eigene Bezeichnung.

    Das ist so wie bei "subject" und "topic", für das es auf Deutsch auch nur ein Wort gibt: Thema.

    #5VerfasserRominara (1294573) 25 Mai 22, 22:28

    Reminding me of the etymology of the French word "vasistas". Discussed in Leo here.

    No one has mentioned Kämpferfenster here yet, I see...

    #6VerfasserAE procrastinator (1268904) 26 Mai 22, 11:55
  • Pinyin
  • Tastatur
  • Sonderzeichen
  • Lautschrift
:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt