Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Translation correct?

Als Chef der Abteilung XY... - As (the?) head manager of the xy department...

Source Language Term

Als Chef der Abteilung XY...

Correct?

As (the?) head manager of the xy department...

Examples/ definitions with source references
    ... nehme ich gerne die Gelegenheit wahr, mich mit einem Grußwort an Sie zu wenden.
    Comment
    Der Chef ist nur beispielhaft erfunden; mir geht es um die Konstruktion des "Als" + Rolle. Da komme ich gerade ins Schleudern: mit "the" oder ohne? Klingt irgendwie beides falsch...
    Gibt's vielleicht noch irgendeine viel elegantere Lösung?

Danke!
    AuthorAnna C. (474640) 14 Apr 09, 16:51
    Comment
    Ohne "the": As manager of ..., I would like to ...
    #1Authordude (unplugged)14 Apr 09, 17:16
    Comment
    Although, come to think of it, with "the" also works, but in a somewhat different context:

As the manager of ..., I have unlimited powers. :-)
    #2Authordude (unplugged)14 Apr 09, 17:18
    Comment
    Well, Dude, now you've got me totally confused... :-)
    Not that I need the context in #2, but why on earth would that have a "the" and #1 wouldn't?
    #3AuthorAnna C. (474640) 14 Apr 09, 17:52
    Comment
    Well, Anna, now you're actually making me think about this. I guess it really doesn't matter much whether the "the" is in there or not. It just seems to me that in the form of a personal note or message, it sounds better and more personal without "the," whereas in a formal (and perhaps less personal) statement, the article is more appropriate.
    #4Authordude (253248) 14 Apr 09, 18:19
    Comment
    Let me get this straight now. Are you saying that a statement claiming unlimited powers would be considered more formal and less personal? ;-)

Seriously now, though: Wouldn't a "Grußwort" be a fairly formal context? Yet, you spontaneously decided on "no article" for that context.
    #5AuthorAnna C. (474640) 14 Apr 09, 23:56
    Comment
    If I were to address a group of co-workers, for instance, I wouldn't use the article. It's really not that big a deal if the article is with the title or not, anyway. It doesn't make much of a difference if I say "As the president of this company ..." or "As president of this company ..." I think it really just boils down to a personal preference. :-)
    #6Authordude (253248) 15 Apr 09, 00:06
    Comment
    O.k., thanks!
    #7AuthorAnna C. (474640) 15 Apr 09, 00:42

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters