Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Source Language Term

Bus Gates

Correct?

bus gates

Examples/ definitions with source references
    Hi everybody,

Is that expression commonly used at airports - contrary to the gates where you board the plane via a bridge?

I have to make it clear that we only mean those gates where people take the bus to their planes.
    Comment
    Thanks for your help.
    Author Uschi_13 (707993) 29 Nov 10, 11:45
    Comment
    Welche Sprache ist nun welche? Falls Deutsch dabei, finde ich den Begriff nicht im Wörterbuch.
    #1AuthorWerner (236488) 29 Nov 10, 11:50
    Suggestions

Bus Gates

-

Bus Gates

Context/ examples
    @ Werner

Dieser Ausdruck stand in einem deutschen Text über einen internationeln Flughafen.
    Ich bin mir nur nicht sicher, ob man in England / USA auch "bus gate" sagt?
    Comment
    Vielen Dank
    #2AuthorUschi_13 (707993) 29 Nov 10, 11:54
    Comment
    Da guckst du am besten auf der Internetseite eines dt. Flughafens, der Flugsteige hat, die mit Bussen bedient werden.
    Gates werden in deutschen Flughäfen (oder zumindest manchen) als Flugsteige bezeichnet, nicht als Gates (fiel mir letzte Woche im Flughafen bei einer Durchsage auf - die sprachen von Flugsteig, nicht Gate)
    #3Authordixie29 Nov 10, 12:07
    Comment
    As a passenger, I've only ever heard "gates", but the meaning of "bus gates" should be pretty obvious.

"Bus gates" turns up here, albeit in quotation marks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_terminal
    #4AuthorSteve UK29 Nov 10, 12:40
    Suggestions

Bus Gates

-

bus gates

Comment
    Thanks everybody.
    Great help
    #5AuthorUschi_13 (707993) 29 Nov 10, 13:21
    Comment
    'Bus gates' doesn't actually sound 100% clear to me; people might wonder if that was a foreign speaker trying to explain where to catch the city bus.

I think we more often call the kind used for boarding a shuttle bus, so we might say something like 'gates with shuttle bus boarding,' 'gates served by shuttle bus' ... Perhaps you could search for examples using that term, because it could really depend on context.

In some US airports, IIRC, they don't actually tell you which gates those are in advance, perhaps because people would be annoyed at the delay.
    #6Authorhm -- us (236141) 29 Nov 10, 16:44
    Suggestions

Bus Gates

-

bus gates

Comment
    Thank you all :)
    #7AuthorUschi_13 (707993) 30 Nov 10, 14:08
    Suggestions

bus gate

-

Omnibusbahnsteig

Context/ examples
    Zu Beginn des Hürther Stadtbusbetriebes befand sich der Omnibusbahnsteig im Innenhof des Centers. Als die SVH die Verkehre erweiterten, reichte die erste ...

www.wisoveg.de/bve/heidam/oldtimerfahrten.html - Im Cache
    Comment
    gate = Flugsteig, Tor
    platform, track = Bahnsteig, Gleis
    #8Authorw30 Nov 10, 15:04
    Suggestions

bus gate

-

Buslinie

Context/ examples
    The number of people caught driving through the city centre bus gate fell by more than a half last year. The camera patrolling the traffic lights in Northgate Street snapped 3,596 vehicles in the financial year 2008/9
    Comment
    Haltestelle, Busbahnsteig (eines Busbahnhofs)?
    #9Authorw30 Nov 10, 15:16
    Comment
    I agree with #6.

Usually I am told to go to a bus terminal!
    But in your case I would say it's a gate where you board the bus to your aeroplane. I've never seen or heard the term "bus gate".
    #10AuthorCorey30 Nov 10, 16:06
    Context/ examples
    Comment
    @9:

In that context it means a short section of road which only buses are allowed to use.
    #11AuthorNomis8 (597361) 30 Nov 10, 16:35
    Comment
    @4, 10:

As a passenger there probably wouldn't be any reason for you to hear a specific term for it - usually they just tell you to go to a particular gate and you find out when you get there that you have to get a bus. But presumably the airport has a term for referring to the concept internally.
    #12AuthorNomis8 (597361) 30 Nov 10, 16:41

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt