Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Falscher Eintrag in LEO?

There's life in the old dog yet. [hum.] - Totgesagte leben länger.

Falscher Eintrag

There's life in the old dog yet. [hum.] - Totgesagte leben länger.

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    Kommentar
    This is a mismatch for me. I would delete it. Is it from Mr. Honey?

Many will ask me to prove this, but it's hard to prove, if not impossible.

The meaning in the 2 languages is not a match, IMHO.
    Verfasseropine (680211) 08 Jan. 11, 09:03
    Kommentar
    I beg to differ: I would have thought the two sayings get the same meaning across, as an expression of surprise at someone making a successful comeback or at something being viable or useful for longer than expected.

(opine - Thanks for asking, but my people are all down south in Melbourne and haven't been affected by the floods!)
    #1VerfasserStravinsky (637051) 08 Jan. 11, 17:16
    Kommentar
    Opine, bitte auch hier: Belege deine Meinung!

Zum ersten: Was ist, deiner Meinung nach, die Aussage der beiden Redewendungen und wo liegen die Unterschiede?

Zum zweiten: Einfache Internetsuche sollte einige Verwendungsbeispiele liefern, die deine Interpretation be- oder widerlegen.

Ohne jede Recherche geht es mir wie Stravinsky: die englische Redewendung beschreibt das selbe Bild wie im Deutschen, das ueberraschende Wiederauflebens jemandes, den man schon fuer tot/fertig/beendet gehalten hat.

Nicht unterstuetzt.
    #2VerfasserMausling (384473) 08 Jan. 11, 18:26
    Kommentar
    They're not quite the same, opine. I agree with you entirely. But how do we prove it? I don't have the time to do an internet search. Perhaps someone else will find the energy. But you are right.
    #3VerfasserMini Cooper (236699) 08 Jan. 11, 22:21
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    Agree that it is not quite the same, but then how to find something better?

I can see that in some places the match would not be too bad, whereas in other situations it would likely be wrong, or at least awkward.

An old dog is an old dog / person / etc. Ein Totgesagter kann auch jemand sehr Junger sein, z. B. ein Sportler nach einem Unfall oder einer Verletzung, der dann doch against all odds ein tolles Comeback macht. IMO würde hier There's life in the old dog yet. als Übersetzung falsch sein.

I may have heard There's life in the old dog yet. used for younger people, but then really just for bantering, and not in the sense of making a comeback. Who would in German use Totgesagte leben länger. for bantering? I do not really think that is the case. Would people somewhere in the North of Germany use that for fun on a night out? To my (southern) ears it just sounds awkward.
    #4VerfasserSir Pooh de Bear (687643) 08 Jan. 11, 23:22
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    Kommentar
    I think of it like Sir Pooh de Bear. "Comeback" being the most important word.

I would personally use, "There's life in the old dog yet.", only for an elderly person.
    Of course, you could jokingly use it.

Whereas the German for me applies to anyone at any stage of life, and means more like:
    -- "People with a death sentence live longer."
    -- "Given a death sentence increases your life span."

Gosh, I don't know how to describe it. That's why I said in the OP that it will be hard to prove.

Obviously, people feel differently about this one.

I linked to dict.cc, since they agree and disagree! ^^ (They give 2 translations.)
    #5Verfasseropine (680211) 09 Jan. 11, 02:41
    Kommentar

Whereas the German for me applies to anyone at any stage of life, and means more like:
    -- "People with a death sentence live longer."
    -- "Given a death sentence increases your life span."

Opine, hast du irgendeine Idee, was die deutsche Redewendung aussagen will? Wenn nein, warum dann dieser Faden? Deine beiden "Uebersetzungen" sind typisches 6-gear und voellig an der Bedeutung vorbei.
    #6VerfasserMausling (384473) 09 Jan. 11, 05:30
    Kommentar
    #6. Ich kenne die jeweiligen Redewendungen in beiden Sprachen.
    Ich habe 10 Jahren in Deutschland gelebt. Ich bin nicht der
    Einzige, der in diesem Faden den Eintrag für komisch hält.

Meine "Übersetzungen" waren gar keine. Ich wollte nur den Sinn übergeben.

Zurück zu meinem OP. Ich finde diese Paarung (bei Leo) ... falsch ... gar unnötig.

Sorry for my mistakes in German.
    #7Verfasseropine (680211) 09 Jan. 11, 05:44
    Kommentar
    I'm supportive of Opine on this, and I would like to hear from natives what the German figure-of-speech really means and the situations in which it can be used.

The English figure-of-speech means that a person, though elderly, can still have the energy to do things, even things a young person can do (sometimes, that is).

There's a similar phrase from literature, the song of mehitabel in archy and mehitabel by Don Marquis:

my youth i shall never forget
    but there s nothing i really regret
    wotthehell wotthehell
    there s a dance in the old dame yet
    http://www.donmarquis.com/readingroom/archybo...

There's nothing about living longer or being condemned in the English phrase. Just being able to do things and not sitting around like a vegetable. I don't see the equivalence of the two figures-of-speech unless someone takes the time to explain the German side of it.
    #8VerfasserAgalinis (714472) 09 Jan. 11, 06:26
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    Totgesagte leben länger - Toyota nimmt Fahrt auf
    Pleiten, Pech und Pannen, das war gestern. Heute brummen die Geschäfte beim japanischen Autobauer wieder. Dank des reißenden Pkw-Absatzes - vor allem in China - verdient der Konzern wieder richtig Geld und kann sogar seine Ziele wieder hochschrauben.
    http://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Toyota-nimmt-Fa...

EnBW hofft auf Neckarwestheim - "Totgesagte leben länger"
    Andreas Müller, veröffentlicht am 15.02.2010
    (...)
    Neckarwestheim - Die Landesregierung rechnet so fest mit einem Weiterbetrieb des Kernkraftwerks Neckarwestheim I, dass sie dafür bereits Mehreinnahmen im Haushalt eingeplant hat. Im Etat des Umweltministeriums von Tanja Gönner (CDU) sind in diesem Zusammenhang zwei Millionen Euro zusätzlich vorgesehen. Dies bestätigte ein Sprecher Gönners der StZ.
    http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/stz/page/23...
    Kommentar
    Die Redewendung bedeutet, daß Personen/Institutionen/Bewegungen etc., denen man öffentlich nachsagte, daß ihre Zeit bald vorüber sei, sie bald keine Macht/Einfluß mehr haben, bald verschwunden sein werden, die also für tot erklärt (= gesagt) wurden, sich manchmal doch wieder zurückmelden und von neuem herrschen, blühen, Einfluß haben.

Die beiden Beispiele oben illustrieren dies. Im ersten Fall hatte man Toyota nach den ganzen Rückrufaktionen schon auf dem absteigenden Ast gesehen, doch Toyota hat sich zurückgemeldet und ist wieder auf dem aufsteigenden Ast. Im zweiten Fall hatte man schon damit gerechnet, das KKW eigentlich bald abzuschalten. Jetzt aber wird es weiterbetrieben und soll kräftig Gewinne abwerfen.
    #9VerfasserSelima (107) 09 Jan. 11, 09:51
    Kommentar
    Thanks Selima. See ... that really isn't a match to the English, IMHO.
    The English typically (but not exclusively) refers to an elderly person.

The examples in #9 have the "comeback" feeling that #4 mentions.
    #10Verfasseropine (680211) 09 Jan. 11, 10:03
    Kommentar
    "back from the dead," "resurrected" leap to mind. I'm sure there are other English equivalents.
    #11VerfasserAgalinis (714472) 09 Jan. 11, 15:32
    Kommentar
    @opine: Ob Du 10 Jahre in Deutschland gelebt hast oder nicht, die Übersetzung von "Totgesagter" zu "death sentence" ist schlicht falsch.

@Sir Pooh: Kannst Du ein Beispiel bringen, was Du mit "bantering" hier meinst? Ich kenne den deutschen Spruch durchaus in humoristischem und scherzhaftem Gebrauch.
    #12Verfasserh h (38469) 09 Jan. 11, 21:12
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    http://www.economist.com/node/9725717
    There's life in the old dog yet - The PC industry is proving to be surprisingly lively
    WHEN the personal computer (PC) turned 25 last year, many anniversary articles read like obituaries. There was general agreement that the PC had become a commodity product, its makers mere box-shifters, and that growth prospects were mediocre. [...] But the takeover also shows that there is still life in the PC business—and will be for years to come.

http://fionafox.blogspot.com/2009/07/theres-l...
    There’s life in the old dog yet: in defence of journalism
    Any notion that the 6th World Conference of Science Journalists held in London last week was going to be a tame, cosy affair was shattered at the opening plenary when a row broke out as to what constitutes science journalism. [...] It is precisely because science journalism (as all traditional journalism) is under pressure and in decline that I think we need to fight for it. Instead of standing by passively and allowing lines to be blurred and investing in alternatives, we should consider ways to defend, shore up and champion science journalism – something we did collectively and to good effect at the World Conference.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/ameri...
    There's life in the old dog yet as McCain climbs the polls in South Carolina
    John McCain has a spring in his step as he addresses a "town hall" meeting in South Carolina the state where his last bid for the presidency came to grief amid rumours that he had fathered an out-of-wedlock black child. He is hoping that recent US military success in Iraq will lead to a badly needed surge in his campaign for the White House in 2008.

And now that one opinion poll shows him neck and neck with his nearest rivals in the Palmetto State, the famous McCain "Straight Talk Express" which nearly derailed George Bush's bid for the White House in 2000 is back on the road again. After a fashion
    Kommentar
    Meine "Übersetzungen" waren gar keine. Ich wollte nur den Sinn übergeben.

Opine, genau dies war meine Kritik: du hast in keiner Weise den Sinn der Redewendung wiedergegeben. Deine "Sinnwiedergaben" waren wortwoertliche Uebersetzungen, am Sinn vorbei und mit "death sentence" selbst so noch falsch. Bisher hast du in keinem deiner Beitraege erklaert, was du unter dieser Redewendung verstehst. Und ich bezweifele, ehrlich gesagt, dass du dies tust.

Zum Thema:
    Die dt. Redewendung (wie von Selima beschrieben) wird auf jemanden/etwas angewendet, von dem die allgemeine Meinung annimmt, dass er am Ende seiner Karriere/Leistungsfaehgikeit/Kapazitaet/was auch immer angelagt ist, der aber dann mit unerwarteten Leistungen (Qualitaet/Quantitaet/Dauer) ueberrascht. Nicht unbedingt immer ein Comeback (auch wenn diese Bedeutung ebenfalls moeglich ist), aber halt nicht das erwartete Ende.

Oben sind die ersten drei Googletreffer fuer "There is life in the old dog yet", die keine Woerterbuchseiten sind. In allen dreien wird die Redewendung figurativ verwendet, und nicht im woertlichen Sinn auf aeltere Personen. In allen drei Faellen waere "Totgesagte leben laenger" eine voellig akzeptable Uebersetzung.

Es tut mir wirklich leid, wenn ich hier etwas aggressiver werde, aber ist einem der E native speaker, die opines Meinung unterstuetzen, die Bedeutung der deutschen Redewendung bekannt? Wenn ja, dann ist dies relativ einfach zu zeigen: schaut euch einfach typische Verwendung in Zeit, Spiegel, ZDF, BBC, Guardian, New York Times etc. an, zitiert diese und zeigt, dass es voellig andere Bedeutungen sind. Aber ausgehend von allem, was ich bisher hier gelesen habe, und nach eigener kurzen Suche, bleibe ich dabei, dass die Uebersetzung gar nicht so schlecht ist.
    #13VerfasserMausling (384473) 09 Jan. 11, 22:20
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    at # 12:

You are out in the evening playing with friends, and one of them, who didn't do well the whole evening, unexpectedly does very well and scores a few points. Then you would maybe say: There's life in the old dog yet., even if that person is not old, just as a joke.

I cannot imagine using Totgesagte leben länger. in that situation. For other situations it may suit rather well though.

I may add that in Austria Totgesagte leben länger. does not seem to be used very widely.
    #14VerfasserSir Pooh de Bear (687643) 09 Jan. 11, 23:01
    Kontext/ Beispiele

"Totgesagte leben länger."

Kommentar

If one interprets the adage literally one could say, "Those reputed to be dead live longer." This is not a "standard" adage in American English.

There is also the interpretation, "Rumors of my, (his/her/their), death are premature.", although this is reaching a bit.

#15VerfasserToo-Late2 (1239135) 19 Sep. 18, 18:10
    Kommentar

Wenn schon jemand diesen alten Faden ausgegraben hat:

@14 You are out in the evening playing with friends, and one of them, who didn't do well the whole evening, unexpectedly does very well and scores a few points. Then you would maybe say: There's life in the old dog yet., even if that person is not old, just as a joke.

I cannot imagine using Totgesagte leben länger. in that situation.

Well, I can imagine using it and quite possibly would actually do so.

#16VerfasserDragon (238202) 21 Sep. 18, 10:21

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt