Definition of COUNTRY
1 : an indefinite usually extended expanse of land : region
4 : rural as distinguished from urban areas
* He moved to the north country to fish and hunt.
* We went camping in the hill country.
* They drove through miles of open country.
* She lives out in the country.
* They prefer the country to the city.
5. rural districts, including farmland, parkland, and other sparsely populated areas, as opposed to cities or towns: Many city dwellers like to spend their vacations in the country.
6. any considerable territory demarcated by topographical conditions, by a distinctive population, etc.: mountainous country; the Amish country of Pennsylvania.
7. a tract of land considered apart from any geographical or political limits; region; district.