Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Übersetzung korrekt?

Portuguese (s. Kommentar) - English

Gegeben

Portuguese (s. Kommentar)

Richtig?

English

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    Os seus olhos eram portugueses; isto é, reflexo perenne dos intimos pensamentos; tempestuosos com as procellas do coração, sereno com a calma delle. No rosto do mancebo estava escripto o nome da sua terra natal: era um filho das Hespanhas: a cor, o gesto, o olhar, tudo dizia que ahi dentro havia o espirito de um godo e ao mesmo tempo que nessas veias corria o sangue de um arabe

“His eyes were Portuguese, an abiding reflection of mysterious thoughts, turbulent storms of the heart, and an utter inner peace . The name of his homeland was written in the boy’s face: he was a son of Hispania: The colors, the gestures, the look—all indicated, that the spirit of a Goth resided within, and, at the same time, that the blood of an Arab coursed through his veins
    Kommentar
    Liebe LEOs,

eigentlich bin ich als Englisch-Muttersprachlerin und Übersetzerin (DE>EN) im anderen Forum hier bei LEO Stammgast, aber nun übersetzte ich ein Buch über die Geschichte Portugals. Da kommt das Gedicht vor, und mich interessiert es einfach, ob die englische Übersetzung (aus der deutschen Übersetzung der Autorin des Buches) stimmt. Kann jemand hier helfen? Vielen Dank!
    Verfasser German Tarheel (EY) (147393) 26 Aug. 14, 21:36
    Kommentar
    Die Übersetzung erscheint mir einigermaßen korrekt. Es ist altes Portugiesisch. Aus welchem Jahrhundert?
    #1VerfasserCARIOCA (324416) 27 Aug. 14, 04:02
    Kommentar
    Vielen Dank! Der Text stammt aus dem 19. Jahrhundert.
    #2VerfasserGerman Tarheel (EY) (147393) 27 Aug. 14, 10:03
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    Os seus olhos eram portugueses; isto é, reflexo perenne dos intimos pensamentos; tempestuosos com as procellas do coração, sereno com a calma delle. No rosto do mancebo estava escripto o nome da sua terra natal: era um filho das Hespanhas: a cor, o gesto, o olhar, tudo dizia que ahi dentro havia o espirito de um godo e ao mesmo tempo que nessas veias corria o sangue de um arabe.
    Kommentar
    Hi, EY; sorry I only saw this today. I don't know if you might be interested in a more literal translation, just for the sake of confirmation:

His eyes were Portuguese; that is, an everlasting reflection of intimate thoughts; tempestuous with the storms of the heart, serene with its calm. On the face of the youth was written the name of his native land: he was a son of Hispania: color, gesture, glance, all told that here within was the spirit of a Goth, and at the same time, that in these veins ran the blood of an Arab.

So the translation you have seems okay to me too, except for the possibly German comma in 'indicated that.'

As Carioca says, the original spelling is old-fashioned and the diction is literary. In case you had any need to check individual words in a dictionary, I believe modern spelling would be perene, procelas, dele, escrito, aí, and written accents on íntimos, espírito, and árabe.
    #3Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 01 Sep. 14, 20:00
    Kommentar
    So hm--us, you hang out here, too! ;) Vielen Dank!

The German comma has become a very bad habit of mine. In this case, it's at the end of the line, so I guess it might be acceptable. (The text is placed at the head of a chapter.) It's actually formatted like this:

His eyes were Portuguese,
    an abiding reflection of mysterious thoughts,
    turbulent storms of the heart, and an utter inner peace.
    The name of his homeland was written in the boy’s face:
    he was a son of Hispania:
    The colors, the gestures, the look—all indicated,
    that the spirit of a Goth resided within,
    and, at the same time, that
    the blood of an Arab coursed through his veins.
    #4VerfasserGerman Tarheel (EY) (147393) 02 Sep. 14, 22:46

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt