Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Wrong entry

prey - Beutezug

Examples/ definitions with source references
    Dictionary: prey

sub voce "prey (noun)"
    an animal that is caught by another animal and eaten
    someone that a criminal or dishonest person attacks, cheats, or harms

sub voce "prey (noun)"
    an archaic word for booty1
    sub voce "booty"
    any valuable article or articles, esp when obtained as plunder

sub voce "Beutezug"
    Raubzug
    Raubzug
    Comment
    Nach den WBB, die ich durchgesehen habe, meint Beutezug den Vorgang des Ausziehens, um Beute zu machen, nicht aber die Beute selbst, was, meinem Eindrucke nach prey im Englischen bedeutet.

Oder habe ich etwas übersehen?
    AuthorSelima (107) 14 Dec 16, 18:27
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    prey   rare   archaicder Beutezug  pl.: die Beutezüge
    Comment
    Oxforddict.:

prey (noun) 2. archaic plunder or (in biblical use) a prize

plunder (mass noun) 1. the violent and dishonest acquisition of property:
    ‘the commander refused to maintain his troops through pillage and plunder’
    #1AuthorMiMo (236780) 14 Dec 16, 21:10
    Comment
    Auch mein amer. Random House Dict. (ältere Auflage) kennt die Bedeutung  "Beutezug":
    archaic:  booty or plunder
    #2Authorwienergriessler (925617) 14 Dec 16, 21:22
    Comment
    But the point is that plunder means the action of looting or pillaging, but prey doesn't. Even in the archaic sense, prey only meant plunder in the sense of booty, things looted or pillaged.

I think Selima is right and the entry should probably be removed.

#3Authorhm -- us (236141) 14 Dec 16, 22:21
    Comment
    OED (Printed):

prey: 4. The action of preying, seizing or taking by force or violence (...); depredation, pillage, capture. seizure. Now rare.
    #4AuthorMiMo (236780) 15 Dec 16, 00:07
    Comment
    So a bissl a Kommentar zu den reinkopierten WB-Einträgen wär schon auch hilfreich. Man nennt das Diskutieren.

Wenn 'prey - Beutezug' drin bleiben soll, wäre eine Kennzeichnung als 'veraltet' oder 'selten' vielleicht ganz hilfreich.
    #5AuthorSelima (107) 15 Dec 16, 06:15
    Comment
    Was soll man da diskutieren? Der Eintrag im OED widerspricht offensichtlich der Behauptung von #3 "prey only meant ...". In meinem OED-Zitat habe ich "Now rare" extra unterstrichen, d.h. einer Kennzeichnung als "selten" wäre zuzustimmen.
    #6AuthorMiMo (236780) 15 Dec 16, 08:27
    Comment
    Genau dieses. Bisher gibt es nur die spärlichen WB-Beiträge, die mich nicht sonderlich überzeugen.
    #7AuthorSelima (107) 15 Dec 16, 08:33
    Comment
    I would be happy to discuss further. Some archaic senses, like 'meet' meaning 'fitting' or 'worthy' in a recent discussion, are actually fairly common in older sources, and thus quite useful for advanced learners.

This one is absolutely not. I don't have access to my print OED at this hour of the night, but I would venture to bet that the examples, if any, are few and not from recent centuries. And I would also bet that the OED entry cited in #4 -- the only relevant citation of all those above -- is hardly replicated in any other major dictionaries.

Unless anyone can provide recent examples, or older ones from well-known writers, my sense is that the entry is so obscure that it's more likely to cause confusion than to help anyone. If even the OED acknowledges that it's rare, it's really, really rare.
    #8Authorhm -- us (236141) 15 Dec 16, 09:16

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt