Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Translation correct?

You've got the sun - Du hast Sonnenbrand bekommen

Source Language Term

You've got the sun

Correct?

Du hast Sonnenbrand bekommen

Examples/ definitions with source references

"You've got the sun", Pennie tells Chris.

"I used a suntanning cream", says Chris.

Auszug aus dem Buch "Pet Shop Boys versus America" von Chris Heath (1993)

Comment

"Du hast Sonnenbrand bekommen", sagt Pennie zu Chris.

"Ich habe eine Sonnenschutzcreme benutzt", sagt Chris.

AuthorAlice Reeve (1009963) 07 Dec 21, 17:36
    Context/ examples
    Comment

Wohl eher "du bist aber braun geworden".

#1Authorpenguin (236245)  07 Dec 21, 17:36
    Comment

Vielen Dank für die schnelle Hilfe!

#2AuthorAlice Reeve (1009963) 07 Dec 21, 17:38
    Comment

Ich kenne das als 'you've caught the sun', verstehe es aber auch wie penguin.

#3AuthorGibson (418762) 07 Dec 21, 18:35
    Comment

Laut Merriam-Webster (siehe #1) geht sowohl "got" als auch "caught". Und der Hinweis auf Sonnencreme in Chris' Antwort macht es mE eindeutig.

#4Authorpenguin (236245) 08 Dec 21, 10:41
    Comment

Sonnenbrand hätte sowieso nicht gepasst, das ist ja schon ernsthaft zu viel Sonne.

Du hast Sonne abbekommen oder mitgekriegt, das klingt unverbindlicher. Entweder zu viel Sonne (Sonnenbrand) oder nur etwas Sonne (braun geworden), man sieht jedenfalls, das jemand in der Sonne war oder aus dem Urlaub kommt.

#5Authorzacki (1263445) 08 Dec 21, 11:30
    Comment

Does the source text really say "You've got the sun"? The phrase is "to get some sun". You could also maybe say "get a lot of sun", but "got the sun" sounds totally unidiomatic.

EDIT

Gibson, have you heard the phrase with "the" in BE?

Maybe it's an AE/BE thing.

#6Authorwupper (354075)  09 Dec 21, 10:00
    Comment

Ja, in BE sage ich 'you've caught the sun'. Ich kenne es nur in dieser festen Wendung (aber eben mit 'caught', nicht 'got').

Nicht im Sinne von

We went to the beach to get/catch some sun.

(aus M-W)

sondern in der Bedeutung wie in #1: Man hat Farbe im Gesicht (weil man z.B. einen Tag im Garten gearbeitet hat oder eine lange Radtour gemacht oder wasimmer).

In dem M-W-Beispiel würde ich auch 'some' sagen.

#7AuthorGibson (418762)  09 Dec 21, 14:08
    Comment

I would most frequently say "You've got a touch of the sun" but also "You've got the sun".

#8AuthorJaymack (805011) 09 Dec 21, 16:31
    Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Gibson. There seems to be some subtle AE/BE differences in usage with the phrase.

We went to the beach to get/catch some sun.

(aus M-W)

sondern in der Bedeutung wie in #1: Man hat Farbe im Gesicht (weil man z.B. einen Tag im Garten gearbeitet hat oder eine lange Radtour gemacht oder wasimmer).

The phrase would work fine in both situations/contexts above, but the definite article (alone) sounds off to my AE ears in either one.

What sort of English do you speak, Jaymack? Your language profile for English is blank and there is no mother tongue given.

EDIT Macmillan has it as:

catch the sun 

PHRASE

​British ​informal to get red painful skin because of being in the sun for too long

You’ve caught the sun on your shoulders.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionar...

The OP seems to be some mix of AE and BE. Maybe American influence on the PSB? Or maybe there is just already a mixture in BE itself.

#9Authorwupper (354075)  09 Dec 21, 17:14
    Comment

Thanks for pointing that out, wupper, I hadn't realised I hadn't completed that part of the profile. I have now added British English, but I am from Northern Ireland, so I have a mix of Irish and Scots expressions as well, without being clearly one or the other. Confused ...

#10AuthorJaymack (805011)  10 Dec 21, 17:10
    Comment

Ist sun-tanning cream nicht eine Selbstbräunungslotion oder zumindest eine, die den Bräunungseffekt verstärkt?

#11AuthorRaudona (255425) 11 Dec 21, 13:53
    Comment

Doch, das sehe ich auch so.

#12AuthorGibson (418762) 11 Dec 21, 16:30
    Comment

I suspect that #11 and #12 are right. The product I use to prevent sunburn is called sunscreen.

#13AuthorSD3 (451227) 11 Dec 21, 17:44
    Comment

Ah, you are right - in that case he didn't actually catch the sun (or not necessarily) but only looks like he did.

#14Authorpenguin (236245) 11 Dec 21, 18:32
    Comment

#11 Vielen Dank für deinen Beitrag, Raudona!

Und natürlich auch allen anderen, die dies ergänzt haben.

Ich habe meine Übersetzung entsprechend angepasst.

#15AuthorAlice Reeve (1009963) 11 Dec 21, 20:16
    Comment

Wobei meine #1 natürlich immer noch passt, die Antwort muss nur lauten: "Nein, ich habe Selbstbräuner benutzt."

#16Authorpenguin (236245) 11 Dec 21, 20:24
    Comment

Natürlich, penguin.

Meine Aussage zielte auch darauf ab, dass ich die Anpassung der Übersetzung hinsichtlich des Selbstbräuners vorgenommen habe.

#17AuthorAlice Reeve (1009963) 11 Dec 21, 20:29
    Comment

I wonder if Pennie Smith, tongue in cheek, had in mind Keith Richards’s legendary “You’ve got the sun, you’ve got the moon, you’ve got the Rolling Stones” (please don’t ask me what he meant, I have no idea) when she said that.

#18AuthorBion (1092007) 12 Dec 21, 10:58
    Comment

OT Jaymack: Thanks for the background info. I'll try to remember it in the future. It sounds like a delightful mix. I have very little experience/exposure with/to BE, the little that I have comes mainly via a few Irish friends who lived in Berlin. They were all Dubliners, though.

#19Authorwupper (354075) 12 Dec 21, 23:26
    Context/ examples

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/de...

suntan 

[only before noun]

​used to describe products that protect your skin from strong sunlight: suntan oil/lotion

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/e...

liquid that you put on your skin to protect it from being burned by the sun:

Slather on the suntan lotion as soon as you get to the beach.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/...

suntan lotion in British English

milky cream that you rub into your skin to protect it from the sun's harmful UV rays

She playfully rubs suntan lotion on his neck.

Comment

No, suntan lotion/cream is a product used to protect your skin from the sun, despite the name. See dictionary definitions above. Although, I've never heard 'suntanning', only variations with 'suntan'. The phrase in #0 doesn't sound idiomatic to me.

(Like Gibson, I would say 'you've caught the sun.')

#20Authorpapousek (343122) 14 Dec 21, 11:54
    Comment

Maybe he confused it with self-tanning cream?

#21Authorpenguin (236245) 14 Dec 21, 12:00
    Comment

I did. (I haven't been in a hot country for quite a while, but I think we said 'sunscreen'. So 'tan' misled me, but 'suntan lotion' does sound familiar, now that I'm reading it.)

#22AuthorGibson (418762) 14 Dec 21, 12:10
    Comment

I've been saying 'suntan lotion' (or simply 'suncream') all my life, and even I had to look it up in the dictionaries before I posted #20 to check that what I was saying was true! It certainly doesn't make any sense that suntan lotion = sunscreen, but that is how it is used in the UK, and to my relief the dictionaries confirmed this.

#23Authorpapousek (343122) 14 Dec 21, 13:22
    Comment

We always called it suntan lotion when I was growing up. Today I'd also use sunscreen. Suntanning lotion just sounds wrong. Tanning lotion, or self-tanning lotion, makes you turn brown without needing to be in the sun.

#24AuthorJaymack (805011) 14 Dec 21, 15:57

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt