Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Wrong entry in LEO?

Terpsichorean art, terpsichorean - Tanzkunst, Tänzer, Tanz...

Wrong entry

Terpsichorean art, terpsichorean - Tanzkunst, Tänzer, Tanz...

Examples/ definitions with source references

terpsichorean

adjective

formal, humorous

Relating to dancing.

‘‘the twist’ was a revolutionary terpsichorean innovation’

https://www.lexico.com/definition/terpsichorean

terpsichorean

adjective

formal (also Terpsichorean)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionar...

Comment

This is not just the nice direct, uncomplicated translation that these entries imply.

1) The OED has it with a small t at the start, as does Merriam-Webster. The capital T is obviously also OK, but both need to be given.

2) M-W does not add "formal" or "humerous", but Oxford does, and considering how rarely the word is used, it wouldn't surprise me if it was at least formal in AE too.

I'd also possibly add "rare" or "dated" as I'd never come across it before today and the frequency chart agrees with me.

3) However it's translated into German, it would be "the terpsichorean art" in English, otherwise it would describe art (=drawing, painting) rather than an art (a branch of creative activity, here the terpsichorean one).

• DANCES AND DOUBTS; Is There Any Progress in the Terpsichorean Art? NY Times, 1912
    • The Terpsichorean art is very difficult and the dancing girls must begin practice very young. Manawatu Times, NZ, 1937
    • H. G. Wells is taking laborious pains in teaching himself the delights of the modern terpsichorean art. TIME, 1923
    Author CM2DD (236324)  15 Jul 22, 13:26
    Comment

Das weißt du sicher, aber Terpsichore ist ja die Muse des Tanzes und des Gesangs.

#1Authorpenguin (236245) 15 Jul 22, 15:08
    Comment

Hence the capital T also being OK. In the case of "thespian", it's always small these days, though - but then, "thespian" has caught on a lot better!

#2AuthorCM2DD (236324) 15 Jul 22, 15:44
    Comment

Unterstützt. Ich würde mich am Oxford-Dictionary (erstes Wörterbuchzitat in #0) orientieren und die Kleinschreibung mit Zusatz "(auch: Terpsichorean)" eintragen.

#3AuthorRominara (1294573) 16 Jul 22, 15:05

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt