Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

New entry for LEO

to snooker somebody - jemanden sperren, behindern

New entry

to snooker somebody - jemanden sperren, behindern

Examples/ definitions with source references
    AuthorRonnieO29 Jan 08, 16:11
    Comment
    a couple of comments:

no usable source material
    no usable source material
    no usable source material*

not supported

*= for a definition of what is considered usable source material please consult the hints, written in big, red block letters on the formular used to submit new entries
    #1Authorodondon irl29 Jan 08, 16:29
    Suggestions

to snooker so.

Amer. coll. -

jmdn. hinters Licht führen

to snooker so.

Amer. coll. -

jmdn. hereinlegen

to snooker so.

Amer. coll. -

jmdn. überlisten

to snooker so.

Amer. coll. -

jmdn. übertölpeln

to snooker so. into doing sth.

Amer. coll. -

jmdn. durch einen Trick dazu bringen, etw. zu tun

Context/ examples
    AHD:
    snooker - 1. ... b. To fool; dupe: “Snookered by a lot of malarkey about drilling costs, a Texas jury ... added $3 billion of punitive damages” (New Republic).

NOAD:
    snooker - ... (v.) ... • [figurative] trick, entice, or trap: they were snookered into buying books at prices that were too high. 

LEO:
    to trick so. into doing sth. - jmdn. durch einen Trick dazu bringen, etw. zu tun
    to trick so. - jmdn. hereinlegen, jmdn. hinters Licht führen (u.a.)
    to dupe - einseifen, hinters Licht führen, überlisten, übertölpeln, vorspiegeln

web examples:
    • their essay could be read by the unscrupulous as a tutorial on how to snooker customers into buying inferior products
    • if he has an economic plan, I think the one I'd like to hear about is how to snooker millionairesses into marrying me and living off them
    • Then for virtually no money, he acquired yet another 400 adjacent acres under the Federal Land-Grant Act. He snookered the Feds into the deal by technically ...
    • They also snookered environmentalists into signing off on three coal-fired power plants.
    • Thomas Wright, D-New Hanover, pocketed campaign contributions, fooled lenders and snookered corporations into contributing to a foundation he set up.
    • Formerly, wireless companies revolved around snookering users into signing long contracts
    • Kuo’s view is that Bush got snookered by Rove and other aides. The president never understood – or noticed – that the faith-based programmes he dictated ...
    • Having come by our money through such hard labor, Retch and I were not about to be snookered out of it by some high-pressure salesman
    • tells in meticulous detail how the several Iroquois tribes got snookered out of the land
    • the "correct" stance on various issues (even to the fact that Gore actually won in 2000 but got snookered out of the valid votes !!
    • If you got snookered by a politician’s promises cut your losses and vote against him next time.
    • They got snookered by Bush and his crew. Think back to 2000 and the promises Bush made about how he would govern.
    • CIA files show how postwar 'spies' snookered U.S. intelligence
    • Legislators say Salt Lake County leaders snookered them by using sales tax revenue for transit
    Comment
    In AE, in my experience, the primary meaning of to snooker someone is to trick or dupe them.

I think [slang] would be too strong, since this is commonly used in perfectly standard contexts such as journalism. I also don't think [fig.] is right for this sense, since it's only distantly related to the billiards sense.

So I'd say [coll.] is probably about right. Some of the options I tossed up may not be quite casual enough, but the German speakers can work that out, I just wanted to get the general idea on the record.

(1/2)
    #2Authorhm -- us (236141) 29 Jan 08, 23:06
    Context/ examples
    AHD:
    snooker - 1. [Slang] a. To lead (another) into a situation in which all possible choices are undesirable; trap. ... 2. To leave one's opponent in the game of snooker unable to take a direct shot without striking a ball out of the required order.

NOAD:
    snooker - (n.) ... • a position in a game of snooker or pool in which a player cannot make a direct shot at any permitted ball; a shot placing an opponent in such a position ...
    (v.) [trans.] subject (oneself or one's opponent) to a snooker.
    • [figurative] leave (someone) in a difficult position; thwart: I managed to lose my car keys—that was me snookered.

Chambers:
    snooker - 1: [in snooker] to force (an opponent) to attempt to hit an obstructed target ball. 2: [colloq] to thwart (a person or a plan).

Pons-Collins:
    to snooker sb - jdn sperren;
    to be snookered - (fig inf) fest sitzen (inf);
    I've snookered myself - (fig inf) ich habe mich festgefahren

Oxford-Duden:
    snooker - ... 2: a: in eine Lage bringen, in der die richtige Kugel nicht direkt gespielt werden kann;
    be snookered - die richtige Kugel nicht direkt spielen können;
    b: (fig. coll.: thwart) vereiteln;
    he was snookered - ihm wurde ein Strich durch die Rechnung gemacht
    Comment
    I can't personally support the sense of thwarting someone for AE, so I leave that to the original poster, BE speakers, and anyone else who cares enough to support it.

BTW, the NOAD example doesn't look AE to me at all; as far as I know, 'That was me snookered' is BE syntax as well as vocabulary.

(2/2)
    #3Authorhm -- us (236141) 29 Jan 08, 23:10

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt