Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Translation correct?

Seilbahngondel - gondola or cable-car?

Source Language Term

Seilbahngondel

Correct?

gondola or cable-car?

Comment
    I'm confused. Starting from the assumption that a "Seil(schwebe)bahn" is a cable railway or cableway. What is the enclosed vehicle called, that hangs from the cable and accomodates the passengers? It is a gondola or a cable car?

Is a cable car even the whole railway as suggested by LEO "cable car = Seilbahn"?
    AuthorRuso07 Nov 05, 22:32
    Comment
    Ich kenne die "cable-car" aus San Francisco und da sind es Strassenbahnwagen, die von einem Seil gezogen werden
    #1AuthorRex07 Nov 05, 22:47
    Corrections

cabin

-

Seilbahngondel

Comment
    Muttersprache deutsch
    #2Authorrob-by07 Nov 05, 23:01
    Comment
    ... oder vielmehr: Muttersprache Deutsch ;-)
    #3Authorrob-by07 Nov 05, 23:01
    Comment
    In meinem Skigebiet hier, Sugarloaf, Maine, USA heissen die dummerweise alle nur Lifts ...
    #4AuthorRex07 Nov 05, 23:19
    Corrections

gondola cabin

-

Seilbahngondel

Sources
    Context/ examples
    "Gondola: A type of lift which transports passenbers in multiple detachable enclosed cabins. Gondola cabins have ranged in size from as small as two persons to upwards of twenty. Modern gondolas use what's called "monocable" design, meaning that the haul rope both moves and supports the weight of the cabin and its passengers, much like chairlifts. Some older gondolas used a two-rope system, including a track rope (which supported the weight) and a haul rope (which moved the car)."
    Comment
    This seems to be the technical description. The website also gives you some nice pictures.

In answer to your other question, yes, I think in everyday speech "cable car" can be used to refer to the whole "Seilbahn", ie, the cableway including cars.
    #5Authorrob_oz08 Nov 05, 02:16
    Corrections

Funicular

-

Seilbahn

Comment
    Das habe ich schon gelesen aber ohne Gewähr.
    #6AuthorMarlenchen08 Nov 05, 10:51
    Comment
    Funicular is definitely wrong -- a funicular is a kind of railway, ie the cars run on tracks, even if they are pulled by a cable. Nichts für ungut, Marlenchen ;-) (See: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=defin...)

I'd say you can use "gondola" either in reference to the lift in general or the cabins themselves if the context is clear enough.

If however you want to be more precise you could distinguish between the "gondola cabins" (as I already suggested) and the "gondola lift".
    #8Authorrob_oz08 Nov 05, 12:01
    Comment
    my 2 cts. - auf Deutsch heißen die "funiculars" Standseilbahn.

Der Unterschied zur "Normalseilbahn" ist die Fahrbahn - die Standseilbahn STEHT auf (erdfesten) Schienen, während die Seilbahn auf einem (aufgeständerten) Seil fährt oder an einem hängt.

Gezogen werden beide von einem Drahtseil, wobei bei der Seilbahn entweder das Fahrbahnseil selbst läuft (Sessellifte) oder ein besonderes Zugseil parallel zum Fahrbahnseil vorgesehen ist.
    #9AuthorAJD08 Nov 05, 12:49
    Corrections

Cable car

-

-

Sources
    Comment
    In Südafrika ist es ein Cableway mit Cable cars
    #10AuthorSandra (de)08 Nov 05, 13:39
    Comment
    If it is true that "gondola" is both a cableway and a cabin, it cannot be used to refer to the cabin, because this would be ambiguous.
    #11AuthorRichy08 Nov 05, 20:16
    Comment
    Wolly: gondola = Gondelbahn, gondola cabin = Seilbahngondel
    #12AuthorBastian09 Nov 05, 10:24
    Comment
    I'm confused. If you hear "gondola" or "cable car", do you think of a lift or of a cabin?
    #13Authorjust asking11 Nov 05, 23:00
    Comment
    If I hear 'gondola,' I think of Venice. If I hear 'cable car,' I think of San Francisco.

However, in the context of a cable car ride, either 'gondola' or 'cable car' should be okay.

If I hear 'cabin,' I think of Abraham Lincoln or a ship. And in this context, 'cabin' somehow doesn't sound quite right to me; I would have thought it would be, if anything, the interior of the vehicle, not the vehicle itself. So you could say, for example, 'Please keep arms and legs inside the cabin,' but not (I think) 'We spotted the brightly colored cabins of the cable car ride across the valley.' But it might be BE or other usage, or maybe it's just that I'm not familiar with it.

It would help to have a complete sentence.
    #14Authorhm -- us12 Nov 05, 01:43
    Comment
    Your wish is my command:

Für den zweiten Tag des Firmenausflugs ist eine kleine Bergwanderung vorgesehen. Mit einer schön geschmückten Gondel der Südketten-Seilbahn geht es auf fast 2.500 Meter Seehöhe ...

So cableway would help eliminating any confusion with earth-bound cable cars like in San Francisco, wouldn't it?
    #15AuthorRuso12 Nov 05, 01:54
    Comment
    Hmm, sorry to be so difficult, but 'cableway' isn't actually that familiar to me either, though it would be understandable if you had already established the context with 'cable car.' Again, maybe it's just not AE, or just me.

Anyway, thanks for the sentence. It seems to me that you may not even need to mention the gondola and the cable car ride as two separate items. What about just something like

For the second day of our company holiday, we've planned a small hike/walk in the mountains. In an attractively decorated cable car we'll ascend to almost 2,500 meters above sea level in the Südkette mountain region ...

Not sure about the decorated part -- it sounded like flowers or balloons on the outside or something, but that doesn't seem very practical for a cable car. Brightly painted? I must be misunderstanding something, sorry.
    #16Authorhm -- us12 Nov 05, 02:25
    Comment
    hm-us: It IS flowers and ribbons on the outside!
    #17AuthorRuso12 Nov 05, 18:42
    Comment
    Really! Good heavens. Must not be very windy. (-:

Okay, a few more ideas for you to mix and match:

The second day of our corporate getaway/excursion/outing will feature a light hike/walk in the mountains. We'll board a gaily/festively decorated cable car for a scenic ride up to almost 2,500 meters above sea level in the Südkette region ...

Hope that's at least enough to work with. Sounds like a fun trip.
    #18Authorhm -- us12 Nov 05, 18:55
    Comment
    hm-us: Starting from the assumption that "cable car" means "funicular railway" like in San Francisco, wouldn't it be preferable to say "board a ... gondola" to avoid misunderstandings and make the phrase unambiguous?
    #19AuthorConny12 Nov 05, 19:23
    Corrections

-

cable car / skyride

Comment
    Well, I'm not sure that's a valid assumption; it also means that, but it doesn't only mean that. My point about Venice and S.F. was actually that 'gondola' is just as ambiguous as 'cable car' -- if you say 'board a gondola' with no other context in the mountains, people may be left scratching their heads and picturing canals.

But another thought has just come to me: What about 'skyride'? Now *that* should be unambiguous: 'board a cable car for a scenic skyride ...'

Better? (If not, I give up ...)
    #20Authorhm -- us12 Nov 05, 19:43
    Comment
    ... as long as skyride (not yet included in LEO) doesn't imply that you take off, the clients will get the right idea -:))
    #21AuthorConny12 Nov 05, 21:58
    Comment
    I think you're safe on that score. (-:

I swore I wasn't going to think about this again but I lied. It has belatedly occurred to me that the formal name for Seilbahn that I'm familiar with is 'aerial tramway.' Maybe this is the AE equivalent of BE or Aus/NZE 'cableway,' which still doesn't sound right to me.

Another option unfamiliar to me appears to be 'gondola lift.' However, that seems to be used more to describe a certain kind of ski lift -- that is, not just a scenic ride at a non-skiing location such as an amusement park -- and the web examples seem to lean toward non-English-speaking countries.

If 'cable car ride' seems too ambiguous, 'aerial cable car ride' or perhaps 'cable car lift' should be clearer and still sufficiently idiomatic.

So my summary of the combinations that sound best to me:

gondola / cable car
    +
    aerial tramway / skyride / (aerial) cable car ride / cable car lift

BTW, 'cable car = Seilbahn' is surely wrong, isn't it? Though correcting it to 'cable cars' might be sufficient ...
    #22Authorhm -- us14 Nov 05, 00:09
    Comment
    hm-us: Can you take a look at this related thread:
      related discussion:skyride 
    #23AuthorSusi14 Nov 05, 00:17

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt