Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

New entry for LEO

dander - spazieren gehen, wandeln

New entry

dander Scot. - spazieren gehen, wandeln

Related new entry

daunder

Scot. -

spazieren gehen, wandeln

Examples/ definitions with source references
    http://www.scots-online.org/

unter dem Link Online dictionary

And if she says she fancies you and if she says she will, then tak' her for a dander (or daunder) roon' the braes o' Gala Hill
    AuthorLucarius05 Aug 08, 22:15
    Comment
    make sure this is marked (Scot.) - didn't check out your link and be really sure

I only know dander in the sense of "anger/temper", or dandruff, but not used much, I'd even say rather antiquated
    "Don't get your dander up"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dander
    #1AuthorRES-can (330291) 06 Aug 08, 15:13
    Context/ examples
    http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50057434?...
    dander, v.
    1. intr. To walk idly or purposelessly; to stroll, saunter. (Sc. and north. dial.)
    a1600 J. BUREL in Watson Collect. (1706) II. 19 (Jam.) Quhiles wandring, quhiles dandring. 1724 RAMSAY Tea-t. Misc. (1733) I. 75 Alane through flow'ry hows I dander. 1808 ANDERSON Cumbrld. Ball. 57 The wearied auld fwok dander'd heame. 1830 GALT Lawrie T. IX. viii. (1849) 434, I would just dauner about and dwine away. 1856 MRS. CARLYLE Lett. II. 288 To see poor Jess Donaldson daundering about, opening drawers and presses. 1889 BARRIE Window in Thrums xvi. 153 Hendry dandered in to change his coat deliberately.

2. dial. a. To ‘wander’ or ‘ramble’ in talk, to talk incoherently.
    b. To tremble, to vibrate; applied also to the rolling sound of a drum. In this sense akin to dunder, dunner.
    a1724 Battle of Harlaw xviii. in Evergreen I. 85 The Armies met, the Trumpet sounds, The dandring Drums alloud did touk. 1847-78 HALLIWELL, Dander..to talk incoherently. Chesh. 1855 ROBINSON Whitby Gloss., Dander, to tremble as a house seems to do from the inside when a carriage passes heavily in the street. 1876 Mid. Yorksh. Gloss., ‘Thou danders like an old weathercock{em}hold still with thee.’

to stroll --- bummeln | bummelte, gebummelt |
    to stroll --- flanieren | flanierte, flaniert |
    to stroll --- schlendern | schlenderte, geschlendert |
    to stroll --- wandeln [poet.] | wandelte, gewandelt |
    to stroll --- spazieren geheni
    to stroll up sth. --- etw.Akk. gemütlich hinaufspazieren
    to take a stroll --- lustwandeln [poet.] | lustwandelte, gelustwandelt |

-------------------------
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=8&url...
    Edie Ochiltree, who delighted to daunder down the burn- sides and green shaws — on the cottage of the Muckle- backets. and the death and burial of ...

http://www.bartleby.com/188/612.html
    The Scotman's return
    [...]
    An’ blithe was I, the morrow’s morn,
    To daunder through the stookit corn,
    And after a’ my strange mishanters,
    Sit doun amang my ain dissenters.

http://www.massh3.com/29.03.2003/
    The pack (without Mimi who headed north with newspaper in hand and scone and tea in mind) continued to daunder south along the lochside road searching the shoreline and the piers of the old torpedo testing station for signs of interference by the hare.

annoyance of his wife who much preferred to daunder round the shops and. get her enjoyment out. of. dreams and anticipation. They didn't have the ...
    www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-8705.1989.tb00891.x

http://books.google.ca/books?id=GzL97LXUqqMC...
    An' blithe was I, the morrow's morn
    To daunder through the stookit corn.

http://dev.hil.unb.ca/Texts/EPD/UNB/view-work...
    10: I should much prefer to daunder
    11: Where the sheep and shepherds wander,

And he has the impudence to daunder about this toon, as innocent as a lamb. Why could the smit he had no cairry him aff? It's beyond a'thing the way some ...
    www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/corpus/search/document.php?documentid=986

Wanting to daunder the summit ridge, to appreciate rather than assault it, I retreat to the lee side. So why do we say 'the cloud blotted out the view' when ...
    www.swlg.org.uk/WLN67f.htm
    Comment
    Der war mir neu, scheint aber zu stimmen. Unterstuetzt.

Alle LEO-Eintraege unter "to stroll" erscheinen mir als Uebersetzung geeignet, aber Worte wie "wandeln" sollten definitiv als gehoben, dated oder poetisch markiert werden.

Weder der OED noch andere kennen "to daunder", es finden sich aber Kontextbeispiele. Vielleicht koennte sich ein schottischer angehauchter Muttersprachler dazu auessern, ob "to daunder" poetisch oder veraltet ist?

@Lucarius: guter Vorschlag. Darf ich dich bitte bei weiteren Neuvorschlaegen a) die relevanten Textstellen der Belege mit hineinzukopieren und b) nicht nur zweisprachige Woerterbuecher als Belege zu zitieren? Onelook.com ist eine gute Quelle fuer die englische Seite.
    #2AuthorMausling (384473) 06 Aug 08, 15:40
    Comment
    Collins gem Scots Dictionary:

dander or dauner (pronounced dawn-er)
    A dander is a stroll; I'm just away for a wee dander. To dander is to stroll: You can dander across the Solway sands to Rough Islan, but beware of being stranded by the incoming tide.
    #3AuthorMaisie06 Aug 08, 16:39
    Suggestions

dander etc.

-

bummeln

Comment
    If dialect words are included in LEO, it may become confusing and ultimately unusable. For example, in my home town of Liverpool a cat is known as a 'moggie'. Interesting, but useless. LEO should stick to standard and fashionable sociolect language that has achieve widespread use. Not easy to define, but fairly easy to recognize.
    #4Authorlouishai (162138) 25 Dec 12, 17:45
    Comment
    Zu #4:

Dein Einspruch kommt viereinhalb Jahre zu spät!

Im übrigen darf nicht vergessen werden, dass schottisches Englisch (SE) kein "Dialekt" ist, sondern eine Varietät des Englischen, die gleichberechtigt neben BE (Brit. E.), AE (Amer. E.), IE (Irisches E.), AuE (Austral. E.) etc. steht.
    #5AuthorMiMo (236780) 25 Dec 12, 20:28
    Suggestions

dander

-

bummeln

Comment
    I did not realize that comments in a dictionary could be 'late'. What a curious notion. I have always regarded dictionaries as having an archival function of some sort.

The 'varieties' you mention are largely spoken (and may find their way into creative writing, such as poetry). Unlike earlier phases of English, German and other languages, the rules that govern the writing of these 'variety' or dialect forms have largely disappeared and they have been replaced by a standardized written forms. The only two 'varieties' of English that have distinct written forms US English and British English, the former rapidly becoming the base of what may well in future be called International English. When I read Irish newspapers, as I used to do for the excellent Myles naGopaleen, I recognize the language before me as BrE. I like to that the great man would have agreed with me.
    When I read Australian newspapers, I occasionally see AmEng. usage. When I look at Canadian newspapers, I regularly find the Anglo-American usage mixture.
    #6Authorlouishai (162138) 02 Jan 13, 18:25
    Comment
    @louishai

"Dein Einspruch ist zu spät gekommen" heißt, dass "dander / daunder" längst ins LEO-Wörterbuch aufgenommen sind.

Wenn Du meinst, an diesem Eintrag ins WB sei etwas falsch, musst Du das im Forum "Falscher Eintrag" monieren.

Scots ist übrigens mehr als nur ein Dialekt, denn das Vereinigte Königreich hat Scots als eine Regionalsprache im Rahmen der Europäischen Charta der Regional- oder Minderheitensprachen anerkannt.
    #7AuthorMiMo (236780) 02 Jan 13, 18:52

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt