slip - Unterrock

Korrektur

half slip

-

Unterrock

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    Full slip = Unterkleid
    Half slip = Unterrock

Gesehen z.B. auf Etiketten an Unterröcken in UK.
    Kommentar
    Die englische Übersetzung sollte geändert oder zumindest erweitert werden.
    Verfasserbxl18 Jun. 10, 19:27
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    slipder Unterrock  Pl.: die Unterröcke
    Vorschläge

half-slip

-

Unterrock

Kontext/ Beispiele
    Kommentar
    (full-length) slip = (veraltet) Unterkleid
    #1Verfasserw18 Jun. 10, 20:53
    Kommentar
    Das sagt der OED dazu:
    "An article of women's attire, formerly an outer garment, later worn under a gown of lace or similar material. Also transf., an infant's garment of this nature. In twentieth c. use, an underskirt or petticoat dependent from the waist or the shoulders and having no sleeves. Colloq. phr. your slip is showing: see SHOW v. 28g.
    1761 Ann. Reg., Chron. 228/2 His..sister the princess,..drest also in a slip with hanging sleeves. 1780 MRS. DELANY Life & Corr. Ser. II. II. 527 The coat maker advises girts to be fastened on ye top of the stays,..wch will not appear, being under her slip. 1816 Med. Chirurg. Trans. VII. 480 His daughter was one day dressed in a pink slip. 1824 L. M. HAWKINS Annaline I. 206 A damsel arrayed in a green bonnet and yellow slip. 1825 H. WILSON Mem. II. 103 What do you call a slip? do you mean a petticoat, or an intrigue? 1858 SIMMONDS Dict. Trade, Slip,..a woman's muslin or satin under-skirt or petticoat. 1897 Army & Navy Stores List, Baby Linen{em}Infant's Long Slip... American Satin Slip. 1903 M. M. How to dress & what to Wear 185 Slips. This term is applicable either to a skirt or a bodice. A skirt slip is made of silk, satin, or even batiste, and is employed for wearing under a thin upper dress... Slips may, or may not, be provided with sleeves. 1904 Queen 30 Jan. 178/3 Entire lace gowns hung over chiffon slips made graceful toilettes. 1920 M. S. WOOLMAN Clothing ix. 135 Slips or underfrocks with detachable sleeves have also been designed... Many of the slips are made without sewed-in lining. 1944 H. CROOME You've gone Astray xv. 158 He glowered at Linda, sitting on the edge of the bed in her slip with one stocking off. 1957 J. BRAINE Room at Top xi. 109 She came over in her slip... She was already a different person in the blue silk garment. 1979 R. JAFFE Class Reunion (1980) I. vi. 85 In her slip and pants and garter belt and stockings she would lie down."
    Darin werden beide Varianten beschrieben, der reine Petticoat (Unterrock) und das von den Schultern herabhängende Unterkleid.
    #2VerfasserLady Grey (235863) 19 Jun. 10, 01:02
    Kommentar
    Und? Was ist deine Schlussfolgerung daraus, ladygrey?
    #3VerfasserSailor20 Jun. 10, 18:19
    Kommentar
    To me 'slip' is the general category, and 'full slip' and 'half slip' are the two possible kinds of slip, the subsets, if you need to specify more particularly. I would support adding those two additional terms if either of them isn't in LEO.

I wouldn't really call the existing entry wrong, since a full slip is a slip, just as a half slip is a slip, and you don't have to specify 'full slip' or 'half slip' every time you use the word.

Though especially full slips are largely obsolete, so it might be worth changing that marking. It's not that the word is archaic, though, just the wearing of the garment. How are words for other historical garments marked, like spats or girdle or bustle? [Hist.]? But full slips are still fairly recent history ...

#4Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 20 Jun. 10, 18:36
    Kommentar
    What about underskirt and petticoat? Are they synonyms of slip? Is there a difference in usage?
    #5VerfasserQuestionmark20 Jun. 10, 20:16
    Kommentar
    Both are now only historical in AE as far as I know, though petticoat has been a synonym for slip in some regions and (IIRC) in BE. A true petticoat could be thickish, frilly white cotton, maybe with a lot of lace around the hem, in the days when they were longer and fuller and women and girls might wear more than one at a time, in layers. Historic costumes like Tracht may also have one or more petticoats, that show a little out from under the skirt and are partly decorative.

I picture a petticoat in my mind as worn under a short(ish) skirt, as by 19th-century girls; it would probably be the same word for one worn under a long dress, but those weren't as visible, I guess. The layer that had the wire hoops in it, for a hoop skirt, was a petticoat, I think; in other periods women wore several petticoats for a similar bell-like effect without wires.

When I think of the word underskirt I picture more a skirt that's not really underwear, but just a skirt (in colored fabric, for instance) worn as the not outermost layer. I'm really not up on historical costume, but I picture (vaguely) something like a Victorian riding dress, with a coatlike overskirt in some mud-friendly color that could be lifted or held back to reveal an underskirt in a contrasting, more fashionable color; or an 18th- (?) century dress with panniers, where the overskirt was designed to not meet completely in the middle, showing a contrasting underskirt in a more elegant fabric, like a brocade in contrast to a solid color.

Slips, in contrast, are thin and slippery, made out of fabrics like nylon or other synthetics; a 20th-century phenomenon as far as I know, with their heyday in around the same period as the heyday of nylon stockings.

Not sure if that helps much, since I don't know the exact words for any of those in German, sorry.

#6Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 20 Jun. 10, 20:30
    Kommentar
    #4 Though especially full slips are largely obsolete, so it might be worth changing that marking. It's not that the word is archaic, though, just the wearing of the garment
    really? I have two dresses that require a full slip - one made of scratchy wool, the other of lace. Now while the wooly one came from a tailor, the lacy one came from a high-street chain, so can't have been too outlandish or even hist...

Or wasn't that what you wanted to say?
    #7Verfasserspinatwachtel21 Jun. 10, 08:06
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    Kommentar
    some pictures: half-slips
    #8Verfasserw21 Jun. 10, 10:07
    Kommentar
    Yes, "half slip" ist the AE version of an underskirt.
    #9VerfasserPagliaccio21 Jun. 10, 10:13
    Kommentar
    re #9: I'm not sure that AE necessarily has anything to do with it, since the person who started this thread was shopping in the UK. Please see also what I wrote about 'underskirt' above. Perhaps you meant Unterrock instead?

@Spinatwachtel: Okay, fine, whatever; I wasn't really trying to account exhaustively for every possible case. I still think the general trend seems to be in the other direction, as many women seem to wear pants much of the time nowadays, and skirts rather than dresses when they dress up. Also, garments often are just made with a lining if they need it. But I admit I wasn't thinking of anything like a wool knit, perhaps because I live in a warmer area.
    #10Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 21 Jun. 10, 17:09
    Kommentar
    As someone who used to wear a separate slip frequantly in those ancient historical times when skirts always stuck to your tight-clad legs if you didn't, I can confirm that though you can also say "half slip" or "waist slip" or whatever, that is the more specific term, used especially by manufacturers, and we Brits also just call them slips, whether they are half slips or full slips.

slip 7 a woman's undergarment, worn under a dress or skirthttp://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/feat...

I can't see any reason to mark these words as "veraltet" when slips are still sold in shops today:

This cling resistant waist slip comes in a variety of lengths. It's a must-have for enhancing the look of your dresses and skirts, particularly those that look see-through under light http://www.marksandspencer.com/Slinky-Cool-Co...

Cling resistant half slip with contemporary satin ribbon trim to improve drape and provide added comfort and confidence under dresses and skirtshttp://www.bhs.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/bhs...

#11VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 22 Jun. 10, 10:15

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt