Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Translation correct?

Have you got...? - Haben Sie... ?

Source Language Term

Have you got...?

Correct?

Haben Sie... ?

Comment
    Hallo,

kann jemand mit helfen, bitte?

Ich möchte wissen, was ist die richtige Bedeutung:

Der Satz: Have you got a participants' list?
    Zusammenhang: Betrieb, Geschäfte, Versammlung, Konferenz...

Heißt das

A] "Haben Sie eine Teilnehmerliste?" ?

oder

B] "Haben Sie (schon) eine Teilnehmerliste bekommen/erhalten?" ?

Vielen Dank im Voraus!!!
    Authorprofundo (681820) 25 Jun 10, 12:11
    Context/ examples
    I'd say both. But to be honest, I can't see where there should be a difference in meaning. All they ask is if they have a list. To be more precise I'd ask "have they sent you the list", or "have you received the list?"
    #1AuthorCathy25 Jun 10, 12:19
    Suggestions

Have you got...?

-

Haben Sie...?

Comment
    Hi Cathy,

thank you for your answer.

I know the sentence is ambiguous. By posting my query I was trying to get native speakers to say something about it on the basis of their spontaneous perception.

The problem is that this sentence belongs to a book on English learning which is already translated in German (option A), and I have to translate the German into my language. But I have already realised that sometimes the German translation doesn't fully match the original English - which is normal in translation. But in my language the translation would be closer to the original or, at least, I would use conventional terms/clauses/expressions; so, focusing on the German version sometimes misleads me...That's why I want(ed) to be sure about this sentence.
    #2Authorprofundo (681820) 25 Jun 10, 12:57
    Comment
    A] - "Have you got?" is generally the same as "Do you have?"

Intonation etc might imply that is more accurate in a given situation, but if you're going only on the written word and have no other clues in the rest of the text, then definitely [A].
    #3AuthorSJA (317000) 25 Jun 10, 13:00
    Comment
    Sorry, I meant to say:
    Intonation etc might imply that is more accurate in a given situation, but if you're going only on the written word and have no other clues in the rest of the text, then definitely [A].
    #4AuthorSJA (317000) 25 Jun 10, 13:01
    Comment
    Glitch in the system, last try:
    Intonation etc might imply that B is more accurate in a given situation, but if you're going only on the written word and have no other clues in the rest of the text, then definitely [A].
    #5AuthorSJA (317000) 25 Jun 10, 13:01

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt